Mobileread
*VERY* detailed guide on changing default Reader fonts
#261  rasbadar 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Quote pepak
If you have actually checked the sticky topics, you would have found this:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102
Thank you VERY much.
I did check the fora, but apparently it was to late or I was not diligent enough.
Ashes on my head

regards
Ras

#262  mudskipper 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM
I've tried to flash a Japanese font and have been successful in replacing just one font. Any attempt to replace more than that causes problems at image creation stage with an out of memory sort of error. Does anybody hereabouts know of a Japanese font that is small enough that they've been able to replace all three fonts?

TIA

#263  john folkard 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Not too certain what you mean by bricking. I have followed all instructions down to the letter. First thing I did was to update to version 1.1.00.18040 and flashed that. This seemed to have worked OK. I have changed Times font to Swiss721 BT Roman and the file name from times.ttf to tt0003m_.ttf. Reflashed using PRSCustomiser.
My 505 will not boot up. it tells me that its starting up, will reset it self and goes into a loop. Turning it off and/or pushing the reset button on the back, having the SD card in or out seems immaterial. I have tried to reinstall the updater from Sony but it tells me the system is already updated. The files in instruction 4 does not seem to exist - Any help please

#264  Mark Nord 08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
john folkard

Just in case you havn't found out by now, use this modified FW-Updater.
It will let you install 1.1.00.18040 again.
HTH
Mark

#265  Analogus 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM
maybe someone can help:

What I try to do:

I try to mount one of the system fonts (tt0011m_.ttf) on my PRS350 with help of prsp.sh which I managed to work in the end (was a long way...).
I do this that way:

if [ -d /Data/FontsMount ]
then
cp /Data/FontsMount/tt0011m_.ttf /tmp
mount --bind /tmp/tt0011m_.ttf /opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf
fi

Following the guides in this thread, you have to RENAME the font you want to mount in appropriate manner (external name; internal names). Which works for CAECILIA.ttf.

But preparing other fonts the exactly same way (Georgia.ttf, Vollkorn.ttf, CharisSil.ttf, ...) produces just bugs. Which bugs? Opening say a *.TXT-file with 16 pages:
Software jumps to page 16, page ist white without text, switching to page 15 doesn't work.

Reverting back to the modified Caecilia works.
Using ready prepared fonts from Porkuban mostly doesn't work. Of course I use ready prepared fonts namend 'tt0011m_.ttf' with prepared internal names.

So in short:
The 'very detailed guide' does work just for Caecilia and no other fonts. Any ideas?

A.

#266  surquizu 01-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote Analogus
maybe someone can help:

What I try to do:

I try to mount one of the system fonts (tt0011m_.ttf) on my PRS350 with help of prsp.sh which I managed to work in the end (was a long way...).
I do this that way:

if [ -d /Data/FontsMount ]
then
cp /Data/FontsMount/tt0011m_.ttf /tmp
mount --bind /tmp/tt0011m_.ttf /opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf
fi

Following the guides in this thread, you have to RENAME the font you want to mount in appropriate manner (external name; internal names). Which works for CAECILIA.ttf.

But preparing other fonts the exactly same way (Georgia.ttf, Vollkorn.ttf, CharisSil.ttf, ...) produces just bugs. Which bugs? Opening say a *.TXT-file with 16 pages:
Software jumps to page 16, page ist white without text, switching to page 15 doesn't work.

Reverting back to the modified Caecilia works.
Using ready prepared fonts from Porkuban mostly doesn't work. Of course I use ready prepared fonts namend 'tt0011m_.ttf' with prepared internal names.

So in short:
The 'very detailed guide' does work just for Caecilia and no other fonts. Any ideas?

A.
Use of SonyFont of Pepak to prepare the fonts. Free, quick and easy.

Download:

http://www.pepak.net/files/e-books/sonyfont-0.01.zip

Web: http://www.pepak.net/e-books/sony-reader/sonyfont-cestina-jednoduse/

#267  Analogus 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Thank you. But no chance!

This tool was appropriate for readers before PRSx50. It doesn't even ALL the required internal renaming of the fonts.

I guess there is annother factor that makes newer reader not working with other fonts. But it SHOULD work. Caecilia does work as substitute font.

A.

#268  Hedaya 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I read through the guide. I was wondering, I've already dumped so much money into making Arabic fonts work, I hate to buy yet more software, readers etc. Is anyone willing to help me name just ONE font rather than me buy this font software (you can't follow the manual without buying it) to see if I can even make this work? If I can, I'll buy the software.....

#269  JSWolf 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote Hedaya
I read through the guide. I was wondering, I've already dumped so much money into making Arabic fonts work, I hate to buy yet more software, readers etc. Is anyone willing to help me name just ONE font rather than me buy this font software (you can't follow the manual without buying it) to see if I can even make this work? If I can, I'll buy the software.....
Since you have a nook and not a Sony, this thread is not for you. You'd need a Sony Reader PRS-505 for that guide to work. Since you have a nook, I suggest you ask about getting your Arabic font to work in the ePub section. ePub supports embedded fonts and someone there can help you get it working.

#270  Hedaya 03-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Thank you! :-)

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (27/28)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register