Mobileread
Apple Event on 15 September 2020 Announcements
#11  OtinG 09-15-2020, 06:19 PM
This MacRumors article lists what is new/changed in tvOS 14.

I wish Apple would add a section for stuff you can watch for free with your subscription(s). I get tired of having tons of poop thrust in my face that I have to pay extra for. Amazon is bad about that too, but they now have a section that only lists the free stuff and that is much better than what Apple does.

#12  pwalker8 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM
Quote OtinG
That is it in a nutshell. Looks like Apple is emphasizing more health monitoring with the new Series 7 Watch, and I like that. The better bands are a good addition as well assuming thy come in enough usable sizes. New Watch SE might be an option for many. New iPad 8th gen and iPad Air have a few new additions, but nothing stellar IMO.

BTW, Tim pronounces “Air” as “aay arrrrrr”. I thought he was introducing a new model named iPad AR. I had never heard the Air pronounced like that before!

I will be installing iPadOS 14 on both of my iPads tomorrow. I’m assuming it has to be an improvement over that garbage named iPadOS 13.
Tim Cook is from Alabama and went to school at Auburn and Duke. How else would you pronounce it. That's how I pronounce Air, of course, I'm from Georgia.

#13  tomsem 09-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Apparently there is not a Solo Loop band that will fit my wrist and my 40mm Series 5. It maxes out at 9 and I’m a 10. I would need to get a new 44mm Watch! Crazy.

#14  tomsem 09-15-2020, 08:26 PM
Quote ilovejedd
I think the Series 6 starts at $399.

Surprised the new Air has A14 when the iPad Pro still sports A12Z. I don't think that's happened before. The iPhones having better chipsets than even top iPad Pro sure, but not other iPads. Loving the splash of color (both mint green and sky blue).
Comparing with iPad Pro 11”, they are essentially the same size. 256GB configuration (max available for iPad Air), the Pro is $150 more, but it has LIDAR sensor, FaceID, 4 vs 2 speakers, more capable front camera, more video recording modes, ultra-wide camera, a few more pixels and ProMotion. Probably most people will just get the Air and save some money.

I imagine we can expect a refresh of the Pro line in a few months with at least this chip.

Nice that WatchOS 7 has a Sleep app after all this time, though the 3rd party app I’ve been using has been entirely adequate.

#15  OtinG 09-15-2020, 08:27 PM
Quote tomsem
Apparently there is not a Solo Loop band that will fit my wrist and my 40mm Series 5. It maxes out at 9 and I’m a 10. I would need to get a new 44mm Watch! Crazy.
My printer bit the dust, so I downloaded the length determiner printout and measured it on my LCD screen being careful to fit a CC like they said. It looks like Size 1 is approximately 130mm (5.12”) and Size 12 is 212.5mm (8.37”).

Sizes represent circumference of the wrist.

Size 1 = 130mm (5.12”)
Size 2 = 137.5mm (5.41”)
Size 3= 145mm (5.7”)
Size 4 = 152.5mm (6”)
Size 5 = 160mm (6.3”)
Size 6 = 167.5mm (6.59”)
Size 7 = 175mm (6.89”)
Size 8 = 182.5mm (7.19”)
Size 9 = 190mm (7.48”)
Size 10 = 197.5mm (7.78”)
Size 11 = 205mm (8.07”)
Size 12 = 212.5mm (8.37”)

And don’t overlook their disclaimer that it might stretch out with wear.

ETA: Seems like it would have made more sense to place a ruler image beside the band rather than a CC sized rectangle. The ruler could have used both inches and mm.

#16  OtinG 09-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Quote tomsem
Comparing with iPad Pro 11”, they are essentially the same size. 256GB configuration (max available for iPad Air), the Pro is $150 more, but it has LIDAR sensor, FaceID, 4 vs 2 speakers, more capable front camera, more video recording modes, ultra-wide camera, a few more pixels and ProMotion. Probably most people will just get the Air and save some money.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pro has more RAM too.

#17  DaleDe 09-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Quote OtinG
Tim says they are focusing on two products today, the Apple Watch and the iPad.

Apple Watch

Watch OS7 adds full range of VO2 Max monitoring. (Blood oxygen level.)

New band called Solo Loop that is one piece of stretchy silicon so it can be slipped on and off, available in various sizes. They also introduced a traditional leather band with a belt buckle type of clasp.

Introducing more affordable Apple Watch SE. Starts at $279. No blood oxygen monitor.

Watch series 6 starts at $399.

Series 3 still available, and starts at $199.

New series available this week.

Introduced new Fitness+ subscription service for $9.99/mo or $79.99/year.

Apple iPad

iPad 8th Gen

iPad Air

OS Updates

Releasing iOS 14, iPadOS 14, Watch OS7, tvOS 14 all available Sept 16!

I have built web pages for both iPad 2020@Wiki » and iPad Air 2020@Wiki ».

Dale

#18  ilovejedd 09-16-2020, 02:09 AM
Installed iPadOS 14 GM earlier on an iPad 7th gen. So far so good. Seems less finicky than beta 4-6. It’s only been a few hours though plus this iPad has 3 GB RAM, not just 2.

#19  OtinG 09-16-2020, 02:18 AM
Quote ilovejedd
Installed iPadOS 14 GM earlier on an iPad 7th gen. So far so good. Seems less finicky than beta 4-6. It’s only been a few hours though plus this iPad has 3 GB RAM, not just 2.
I think I’ll give iPadOS 14 a go on my iPad mini 5 tomorrow. It also has 3GB RAM. I’m so tired of the wonky bugs in text entry with iPadOS 13. Just typing a few simple paragraphs takes forever due to screwing things like forcing uppercase for no apparent reason, goofy selection points, nearly impossible to activate spelling correction, etc. The text entry/editing is the worst I’ve ever seen on an iPad! It literally takes 10 times longer to type a few paragraphs on an iPad than it does on my MacBook Pro.

#20  drofgnal 09-16-2020, 07:10 AM
Quote tomsem

I imagine we can expect a refresh of the Pro line in a few months with at least this chip.

Nice that WatchOS 7 has a Sleep app after all this time, though the 3rd party app I’ve been using has been entirely adequate.
I went ahead and purchased the iPad Pro 11" this weekend from Costco. Literally no one has Pro's in stock so I was surprised when they had one when I went into the store. I had thought I'd wait on the air. In addition to the differences you mention, the iPad pro has 600 nits of brightness max vs 500 for the air. I watch videos sometimes (netflix, movies I have digital copies for) on the screened porch so the extra brightness is welcome. At costco's price the pro was only 100 more than the air for the 256 gb version.

I have some macular degeneration in an eye that affects my reading vision and the pro fits the bill nicely at 11". It was getting tiring on a kindle voyage or kindle fire 8". It's been since the first generation iPad, that I had a full size one. Love reading on it. I also picked up a magic keyboard and pencil. It's not a shabby little laptop either.

The air will be attractive to a lot of people.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register