Mobileread
Apple Event on 15 September 2020 Announcements
#101  John F 09-28-2020, 10:16 AM
I guess, but I have to wonder...

For example, all the different Siri animation from version to version is really cool, and I guess they did a lot of testing. But whenever I go to pick it up and use Siri, I can't see the cool Siri animation at the bottom; I pick up the phone from the cradle, my hand covers the bottom of the screen.

#102  OtinG 09-28-2020, 06:50 PM
I disagree with the idea that Apple does extensive usability testing. There is no way anyone will ever convince me that the majority of iOS and iPadOS users think those OSes are simple to use because they are not. They have multiple ways of accomplishing tasks, are not very consistent, have an interface that is terribly glitchy to the touch, and more forums filled with pissed off and confused users than you can shake a stick at. It is a mess and it is getting worse.

Have you tried creating a stacked widget yet? If so, did you get tired of chasing the stack all over the damn screen in an attempt to drop another widget into it? I sure as hell did. And there are multitudes of other UI issues as well. Do you get frustrated that sometimes you have to swipe left to be able to delete an item, but other times you can do a long press and chose Delete? I do. iOS and iPadOS are like trying to learn a gillion secret handshakes. Simple my [alternate term for donkey]!

#103  leebase 09-29-2020, 09:10 AM
"Easy to use" is in the eye of the beholder, of course. What's the difficulty with audible books? There's an audible app. It doesn't sync with iCloud, but it syncs with Amazon's services. Whether I'm listening on an iPhone or an Android table, the Audbile app does well.

One thing that doesn't, for unknown reasons, is Alexa. If I listen to an audible book via Alexa, the rest of my devices don't sync.

#104  pwalker8 09-29-2020, 09:11 AM
Quote OtinG
I disagree with the idea that Apple does extensive usability testing. There is no way anyone will ever convince me that the majority of iOS and iPadOS users think those OSes are simple to use because they are not. They have multiple ways of accomplishing tasks, are not very consistent, have an interface that is terribly glitchy to the touch, and more forums filled with pissed off and confused users than you can shake a stick at. It is a mess and it is getting worse.

Have you tried creating a stacked widget yet? If so, did you get tired of chasing the stack all over the damn screen in an attempt to drop another widget into it? I sure as hell did. And there are multitudes of other UI issues as well. Do you get frustrated that sometimes you have to swipe left to be able to delete an item, but other times you can do a long press and chose Delete? I do. iOS and iPadOS are like trying to learn a gillion secret handshakes. Simple my [alternate term for donkey]!
Oh, come now. Apple has an extensive UI lab. Apple does a lot of user testing. That's a documented fact. You might not like how it works, but that doesn't imply it wasn't tested. IOS 14, like most of the previous IOS releases, went through one of most extensive beta programs in the world.

Yes, I understand you don't like how stacked widgets works. I don't use stacked widgets so I don't care one way or the other. I'm just saying that claiming it wasn't tested is rather obviously not true.

#105  John F 09-29-2020, 09:17 AM
So I went to look at my calendar today, and it has changed also. I guess they didn't catch it in their last "usability testing".

#106  pwalker8 09-30-2020, 09:16 AM
Quote leebase
"Easy to use" is in the eye of the beholder, of course. What's the difficulty with audible books? There's an audible app. It doesn't sync with iCloud, but it syncs with Amazon's services. Whether I'm listening on an iPhone or an Android table, the Audbile app does well.

One thing that doesn't, for unknown reasons, is Alexa. If I listen to an audible book via Alexa, the rest of my devices don't sync.
My difficulty is it doesn't work the way, _I_ want it to!

I have about a dozen or so audiobooks that aren't audible, so I can't use the audible app for those. At one time they would pull the audiobooks from the Apple library, but no more.

My only real gripe with the way Apple syncs is that I have to select the audiobooks individually, rather than by collection, so it's a bit time consuming to add and delete books from my iPhone.

Both the audible app and the books app have their strengths and weaknesses. I have been using the Apple app mostly because the audible app was only recently updated to include a way of organizing books. My usage is most driven (pun intended) by my in car usage. That means that I want to be able to start a new book without having to pull over so I can find the next book without getting into an accident. Books had collections from the start, and it works pretty well with carplay. Books on my mac will also keep track of the last time a specific book was listened to, so it does a better job of organizing audiobooks.

I suspect I differ from most people in that I have a rather large library of audiobooks that I have purchased over the years (around 800). That means that organization matters a lot to me. Audible is way behind Books in that regard.

#107  tomsem 09-30-2020, 02:09 PM
Quote pwalker8
My difficulty is it doesn't work the way, _I_ want it to!

I suspect I differ from most people in that I have a rather large library of audiobooks that I have purchased over the years (around 800). That means that organization matters a lot to me. Audible is way behind Books in that regard.
I see that with a recent update to the Audible app, one can now select an item and Add To Collection... Before you had to create the collection, then select items to add to it, which was almost unusable for large audiobook collections. So it is progress.

But there are still issues with how the Filters work, you cannot apply more than one at a time, for example, view titles that are Not Started AND Downloaded.

In Settings app, Audible has a setting to allow Audible to access ‘Media & Apple Music’. I haven’t been able to figure out what that means: can you play content not from Audible with the app somehow?

#108  pwalker8 09-30-2020, 07:41 PM
Quote tomsem
In Settings app, Audible has a setting to allow Audible to access ‘Media & Apple Music’. I haven’t been able to figure out what that means: can you play content not from Audible with the app somehow?
It does? I'll have to try it and see.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the audible app has made tremendous progress and plan to give it a try in carplay to see how it works with that.

#109  pwalker8 10-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Quote pwalker8
It does? I'll have to try it and see.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the audible app has made tremendous progress and plan to give it a try in carplay to see how it works with that.
Looked at Audible on carplay today. Very limited support. It basically just shows a list of the audiobooks that you downloaded via the app with none of the bells and whistles that are on the app. No Categories or anything Books is much better with carplay, which is to be expected I guess.

The audible app does support playing audiobooks from books, those books only show up in the downloaded tab.

#110  tomsem 10-02-2020, 04:13 PM
Quote pwalker8
Looked at Audible on carplay today. Very limited support. It basically just shows a list of the audiobooks that you downloaded via the app with none of the bells and whistles that are on the app. No Categories or anything Books is much better with carplay, which is to be expected I guess.

The audible app does support playing audiobooks from books, those books only show up in the downloaded tab.
I hardly drive anywhere lately so almost never bother with CarPlay. So you cannot even adjust playback speed?

The Watch app seems to be going nowhere either. Does anyone actually download audiobooks to their Watch? And that seems to be mostly what it is for. It actually appears they’ve removed features that used to be there.

Thanks for confirming it will play Books audiobooks (I suspected as much, I think the option used to be in the app itself). I got it to work also. Apart from that, I wonder what other formats it supports, and where it looks for them?

« First  « Prev   (11/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register