Mobileread
Nokia 770 Linux-based web device
#1  Laurens 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Nokia unveils Linux-based web device without phone (PalmAddict)

This looks sweet!

The new device, dubbed Nokia 770, has a four inch horizontal touch screen that can display normal Internet pages. It will sell for $350 excluding VAT or 350 euros including VAT..."We're launching a completely new product category," said Janne Jormalainen, Nokia's vice president for convergence products at its multimedia devices division.
Update:
Product page: Nokia 770 internet tablet - be sure to check out the specs. (800x480 display!)
Developer site: maemo.org

Update 2:
Hands-on preview: MobileBurn

#2  Alexander Turcic 05-25-2005, 11:18 AM
First PalmOne, and now Nokia introducing a "new" product category. I wonder how those analyst geniuses from Gartner are going to deal with this.

#3  Laurens 05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Be sure to check out more details at Yahoo News:

The product will run entirely on open source software, including a standard Linux operating system also used in desktop computers, marking more unchartered waters for Nokia. "Using standard desktop Linux means innovation is happening faster (than in Linux versions for small devices). We will be very fast in implementing this innovation," Jormalainen said.
Nokia will also launch and support an open source community Web Site, encouraging software developers to hack into the device and improve the product.
I'm really excited about this development, actually more than I was when i first heard about the LifeDrive. The fact that Nokia is using Linux (not Symbian) is especially noteworthy. They do have the clout and capital to make this device a success.

#4  Colin Dunstan 05-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Wonderful news! Embedded Linux means that a healthy collaborative community can participate in making the operation system of the Nokia device more advanced, faster, and more stable. With the complete project source code being available, the lifecycle stability of the entire project is enhanced. Have you ever seen what Linux gurus make of previously closed-source systems? Look at Microsoft's X-box. Unmodded all you have is a gaming console. But modded, you can run applications from the Linux community, such as Media Player Center, which make the device 10x more valuable.

#5  Laurens 05-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Product page: Nokia 770 internet tablet

Be sure to check out the specs. (800x480 display!)

#6  Alexander Turcic 05-25-2005, 11:57 AM
WLAN: 802.11b/g *grin*

#7  Laurens 05-25-2005, 12:25 PM
The developer's site is here: maemo.org

#8  gadgetguru 05-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Now if PalmSource could get Palm OS on that Linux, wouldn't that be great. Heck, if it had a harddrive, it might have put PalmOne's Lifedrive back to the drawing board...

It's just a matter of time when Nokia add PIM application to that unit and turn that into a true PDA. So now we had Palm, Windows CE-Mobile, and Embedded Linux-Nokia Edition...

Wonder if that embedded Linux will be Opensourced... Linux is, but whatever Nokia tacked on to that which isn't part of the OS?

Nokia just might have stolen alot of Lifedrive's thunder...

#9  gadgetguru 05-25-2005, 12:53 PM

#10  Pride Of Lions 05-25-2005, 12:58 PM
This thing looks very cool! I agree about the hard drive for more internal storage and maybe a normal sized SD slot, but overall it's the perfect wireless PDA that everyone's been asking for.

I, too, believe that Nokia is a big enough vendor that this flavor of Linux will attract enough evelopers to come up with the absolute best app's. It'd be great if I could sync it with my Mac, but I'm sure that there are developers that will make the connectivity real (hacker.)

I especially like the news about next year's model with the VOIP and the IM. It doesn't look too gamer friendly, so maybe it doesn't replace my Z2, and as much as I'd loathe to carry another device, this one would be it if I were to.

Get off your duffs, Palm companies. The competition is heating up.
POL9A

P.S. I wonder how long they've been working on this device. It does seem that it's been announced at this time to take away from the LifeDrive, but it's time that Palm Co.'s see that other companies are in the game as well.
POL9A

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register