Mobileread
Anyone purchased the new Plottr Pro [emphasis on 'Pro']
#1  Dr. Drib 01-14-2022, 06:59 AM
They're offering a 60% discount, but it's still a hefty price. It's currently available only as a lifetime purchase. This Pro version is not yet a subscription service.

I subscribe to the regular version.

#2  gmw 01-14-2022, 08:54 AM
All I found was a "setup guide" for it which indicated one of the differences of the Pro version was cloud syncing and collaboration, specifically via an account on their website, which makes it very odd that they are selling lifetime licences rather than subscription ... I'd be wary of that.

#3  Hitch 01-14-2022, 11:06 AM
Quote gmw
All I found was a "setup guide" for it which indicated one of the differences of the Pro version was cloud syncing and collaboration, specifically via an account on their website, which makes it very odd that they are selling lifetime licences rather than subscription ... I'd be wary of that.
I forget why, as I don't really use it, but I have a lifetime and the only damned difference I see is cloud synching. I mean, most of us are smart enough to put our working data files in Dropbox or the like, so...meh. I suppose it has value if several people are working on the same book, but for me, it's meaningless.

Hitch

#4  Dr. Drib 01-14-2022, 04:18 PM
The Lifetime Regular version of the regular Plotter is (I think) $99.00

The Lifetime Pro version is (for a short time; this is the second offering) is $117.00

One difference is that you don't have to be on the internet to use the Pro version. The internet is required, of course, for syncing.

#5  Hitch 01-15-2022, 12:58 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
The Lifetime Regular version of the regular Plotter is (I think) $99.00

The Lifetime Pro version is (for a short time; this is the second offering) is $117.00

One difference is that you don't have to be on the internet to use the Pro version. The internet is required, of course, for syncing.
Yabbut, the ONLY thing that I see, in Plottr Pro Lifetime is cloud synching, right? So...???

Hitch

#6  Dr. Drib 01-15-2022, 07:21 AM
Quote Hitch
Yabbut, the ONLY thing that I see, in Plottr Pro Lifetime is cloud synching, right? So...???

Hitch

I'm not certain if these slight additions are worth an extra $17, (compared to the regular Lifetime purchase):

On the other hand, I'm not certain that any Lifetime purchase of Plottr is worth $99 - $117

I'm still debating the issue.

#7  Hitch 01-15-2022, 11:11 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
I'm not certain if these slight additions are worth an extra $17, (compared to the regular Lifetime purchase):

On the other hand, I'm not certain that any Lifetime purchase of Plottr is worth $99 - $117

I'm still debating the issue.
Honestly...it's "okay" but not earth-shattering. It's not cheap, compared to the likes of Scrivener, which does a LOT more or any of the 90 bajillion other outlining and plotting programs out there. And it's a boatload more than good old Ywriter, too, which can be used to do exactly the same thing, although, once again, not as purty.

(You can hardly ever go broke cozying up to the mad desire for pretty-pretty, shiny-shiny, of the human.)

Hitch

#8  Dr. Drib 01-15-2022, 12:01 PM
Quote Hitch
Honestly...it's "okay" but not earth-shattering. It's not cheap, compared to the likes of Scrivener, which does a LOT more or any of the 90 bajillion other outlining and plotting programs out there. And it's a boatload more than good old Ywriter, too, which can be used to do exactly the same thing, although, once again, not as purty.

(You can hardly ever go broke cozying up to the mad desire for pretty-pretty, shiny-shiny, of the human.)

Hitch

Since I just bought a new TV, I may subscribe to the Criterion Channel instead ($99 a year, I think). I love those old Criterion Laser Disks from 35 or so years ago and the films and commentary they so lovingly provided.

And that would take care of any additional expenditure.

#9  Quoth 01-15-2022, 12:05 PM
If I was spending money I'd buy a local copy of MS Office Basic. Beyond Word & Excel is worthless to me and I've got life time versions of Full Office 4.3, Full Office 95, Full MS Office 2000, Full MS Office XP, Word 2.0a, MS Office Basic of 2003 and 2007. Most versions of DOS and Windows up to Server 2003, Win 7, Win10. Various versions of MS-SQL, SBE Server, Mappoint, Visio (inc one pre MS-Version), Sharepoint, IIS, MS Money, Encarta, Visual Studio 5, VS 6, Exchange Server (ancient), horrid MS Works (which barely does).

I've binned most of it, but I have MS Works on a VM to export as almost nothing can read its files. Current Word might not read wri, wps or early MS Word (Dos or Windows).

I'm less fussed about keeping old programs for compatibility than 10 years ago. I wrote a pearl script to convert pre Wordstar 2000 format CP/M & DOS Wordstar to ASCII as I found some old files I had on 3" and 5.25" discs. I have one machine with 64 bit CPU and unusually a real floppy port so I can read most 3" to 8" discs of CP/M, CP/86 and DOS on Linux, though I gave away the 8" drive a few years ago, so I can't physically read those.

#10  Dr. Drib 01-15-2022, 12:14 PM
Now that brings back a few memories.

I still have my educational disks from Microsoft - I think they were $10 for each program:
  1. Office XP Pro - Disk 1
  2. Office XP Pro - Disk 2
  3. Office XP Pro - Disk 3
  4. Windows XP Pro
  5. Windows 2000 Pro
  6. Microsoft Word 2000

And then there's Ecco Pro, and Adobe Photoshop 5.0 [Limited Edition]

These are all on official disks, of course.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register