Mobileread
Boyue/Meebook P78 Pro
#1  viceant 01-12-2022, 01:32 PM
It seems there's a new player in the game.

It's called Meebook P78 Pro and is a brother (in law?) of Boyue 78 with some changes or improvements: 3GB RAM, faster processor, light warm/cold, Wifi 5GHz, USB-C... and that's all, folks!

#2  menpe 01-14-2022, 04:05 AM
Not a new player, Boyue just rebranded their company for whatever reason.

#3  viceant 01-15-2022, 08:15 AM
Quote menpe
Not a new player, Boyue just rebranded their company for whatever reason.
People in China complained they didn't get their refunds. Could the company avoid to comply whith its duties by means of rebranding?

#4  menpe 01-16-2022, 03:38 AM
Quote viceant
People in China complained they didn't get their refunds. Could the company avoid to comply whith its duties by means of rebranding?
Might be a part of it. They restructured the manufacturing and the marketing too as I heard. To be honest, as long as they make good devices and provide some degree of competition for Onyx, they could be called anything.

#5  bazz2004 01-16-2022, 08:28 AM
Maybe you are misinterpreting the situation. Things were not going well for Boyue and they were taken over last year.

#6  diegoocampo 02-13-2022, 12:00 PM
Has anyone had the chance of trying this new P78 pro? I am specially curious about the CPU, I read that the P78 (non pro) has a weak Rockchip CPU, wonder if it is just the same but at 1.8 Ghz instead of 1.5 Ghz. In the AliExpress page they only specify that is a quad core 1.8 Ghz.

#7  menpe 02-14-2022, 04:07 AM
Quote diegoocampo
Has anyone had the chance of trying this new P78 pro? I am specially curious about the CPU, I read that the P78 (non pro) has a weak Rockchip CPU, wonder if it is just the same but at 1.8 Ghz instead of 1.5 Ghz. In the AliExpress page they only specify that is a quad core 1.8 Ghz.
Saw their Facebook ad which only showed 1,5GHz --> 1,8GHz, so don't get your hopes too high.
The RAM increase concerns a very small percentage of the user base.
I'd be surprised if the Android 8.1-->11 would change much.
The only clear upside is the 5GHz Wifi and the stylus support.

More like an incremental increase of specs than a whole step forward.

#8  ottischwenk 02-14-2022, 06:08 AM
Quote menpe
Saw their Facebook ad which only showed 1,5GHz --> 1,8GHz, so don't get your hopes too high.
But Cortex A55!

#9  menpe 02-15-2022, 04:20 AM
Quote ottischwenk
But Cortex A55!
The P78 uses A35 cores, which are very slightly behind the A53 cores which are ~18% behind the A55 cores. With the increased clock speeds, the theoretical performance advantage will lie between 25% to 35%.
Seems good on paper but the rest of the internal components will stay the same in terms of speed and responsiveness, creating the already present bottlenecks. My old dual-core 1.0 GHz Cortex-A9 powered tablet is more responsive than the P78 with its every single way superior and faster hardware. Even an unresponsive and wasteful power-scaling governor can make or break a normally fine user experience and do not even get me started on the "did the touch layer registered my input or the system just hangs up for no particular reason for seconds" rant.

Don't get me wrong, any progression is good but there are several other parts (hardware and mostly software optimization) where development could reap much more benefit than just slapping a faster processor into the chassis and call it a day. Sadly, a small market like this can't really gather enough world-class developers and engineers to solve these hard problems.
I'd say if somebody wanted to buy the vanilla P78 then go for the P78pro instead (the price is kinda the same anyway) and expect a little better but not world-shattering extra performance if your use-case can take advantages of it.

#10  diegoocampo 02-17-2022, 05:54 AM
Thank you for the information @menpe and @ottischwenk, hopefully some brave forum user upgrades from P78 to P78pro and can tell us about the speed improvements. I just watched the video review by Good e-reader and it seems quite responsive, but that review doesn't really focus on testing speed with any demanding app.

Unless there is an upcoming improvement in color screens coming up this year, I might get this P78pro. I am not interested in note taking so not having WACOM layer is mostly an advantage to me since I wouldn't be using it at all.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register