Mobileread
by way of introduction
#1  Yepitsme 01-21-2020, 07:46 PM
First I must confess that I am almost literate with technical terms, and I can't spell, never could, never will. I am 72 and feel fortunate that I can use a computer at all. I have found that the majority of people my age don't have or want a PC, smart phones, or e readers, being afraid they can't learn how to use it. And these devices are an expensive venture while living on social security.

I have immunodeficiency along with stage 4 COPD. As you may expect, I rarely leave my home, especially during flu season. As the disease process grows increasingly worse, it is difficult for me to walk due to shortness of breath, so I spend a lot of time being sedentary. And thus I read quite a bit, usually 2-3 books a week. I download books from the libraries, first to Adobe Digital, then transfer to Calibre and from there to a Kindle.

I first became acquainted with e readers and Calibre while my daughter-in-law was stationed onboard a Navy ship several years ago. The sailors passed around quite a nice selection of digital books. Although, I've always been a reader, I found reading on a kindle was like magic for me.

I don't know what all Calibre does or can do because I don't understand it. Never in a million years would I have dreamed that I could carry 500 books in my purse. It still amazes me that I can make a telephone call home from the grocery to ask if we need milk, and these are only the tiniest of miracles.

Thank you for reading.

#2  Sirtel 01-22-2020, 04:44 AM
Welcome to MobileRead!

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register