Mobileread
Any use for a broken Kobo?
#1  eloi 01-20-2020, 04:28 PM
I have a Kobo Clara lying around with its screen broken (vertical lines covering 1/3 of the surface). Otherwise it works fine. Can I sell it for parts? Give it away for parts? Should I just throw it away? thank y'all for your time

#2  JSWolf 01-20-2020, 04:38 PM
Quote eloi
I have a Kobo Clara lying around with its screen broken (vertical lines covering 1/3 of the surface). Otherwise it works fine. Can I sell it for parts? Give it away for parts? Should I just throw it away? thank y'all for your time
If you were to sell it for parts, you'd also be selling the SD card which is registered to your account.

#3  DNSB 01-21-2020, 01:31 AM
Quote eloi
Since you appear able to access the device, just make sure that you trigger a factory reset before selling/giving it away for parts. Depending on your firmware, you may need to do a search for devmodeon and then in settings => Device information => Developer options to trigger the old complete factory reset.

@JSWolf: Jon, does that take care of your paranoia?

#4  meeera 01-21-2020, 02:11 AM
Worth bearing in mind though that likely the most useful part in a Clara would be the display, which is broken. The odds of it being useful for anything but e-waste recycling (please don't trash it) is relatively low. But you never know.

#5  stumped 01-21-2020, 02:45 AM
folks on ebay will buy pretty much anything for parts.
search ebay for sold or for completed sales for clara, listed as " for parts" to check.
use advanced search filters
i have sold honestly listed tablets with broken screens that way

#6  rcentros 01-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Quote stumped
folks on ebay will buy pretty much anything for parts.
search ebay for sold or for completed sales for clara, listed as " for parts" to check.
use advanced search filters
i have sold honestly listed tablets with broken screens that way
Probably further down the line folks will be looking for a replacement battery and/or motherboard.

#7  JSWolf 01-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Quote rcentros
Probably further down the line folks will be looking for a replacement battery and/or motherboard.
And maybe even a replacement SD card as the one they have has been bricked.

#8  eloi 01-21-2020, 07:11 PM
that's very reassuring, thank you all! i will sell it on ebay *after* factory resetting it.
unrelated but i'm always surprised of how responsive and insightful everyone is on this forum

#9  MasterBomarc 01-22-2020, 09:29 AM
I may have a use for it if my problems with MH Clara are hardware instead of software. Let me know if you're giving it away. Or send me the ebay listing.

#10  Tarana 01-22-2020, 11:04 AM
I listed a broken Nook Glo on Ebay for a low price for parts, and it was snatched up within days. There is no other way to get parts. So, be specific with what is wrong with it.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register