Mobileread
where did you buy yours?
#1  you sir name 01-19-2020, 08:53 PM
Hi all,
where did you buy your onyxes? I'm in Canada (Montreal), and there seem to be limited options:

a) amazon - yuk, I'd rather not give them any more money than I already have during less enlightened stages of my life
b) goodereader - seems shady and this forum doesn't seem to like them. But they seem to be the cheapest?
c) the onyx intl online store
d) the ereader.store in Detmold, Germany. Good reputation but relatively expensive, and not sure whether I'd have to pay customs, and whether canadian or EU tax applies.
e) getting it sent to friends in the states from an US seller and have them bring it next time they visit.

This is for a Max3 or Max2 pro.

Any experiences with the above stores or specifically the Canadian situation; or any other options that I may have overlooked?

Thanks in advance!

#2  OGRIchardNixon 01-19-2020, 10:37 PM
I ordered from good ereader and I regret it. Very awkward inconsistent customer service. Don't have a tracking number or update about shipping for almost a week after making the payment. I regret... everything. I'd probably feel better working with Ali Express or onyx directly, but I was hoping for a half decent customer service at least with english localized support if warranty issues arise.

Do avoid them. If I don't get clear answers when I speak to them next I'm gonna just try and get my money back.

#3  Question Mark 01-19-2020, 11:07 PM
I'm also in Canada and have bought all four of my Onyx ereaders from the ereader.store in Germany. I would happily purchase an ereader from there again.

Although I'm in Canada, I would NEVER purchase an ereader from Good e-Reader. Their negative reputation here is well earned, many times over. Plus, unless things have changed, Onyx ereaders bought from them actually ship from China. That was the experience of several people on this forum who ordered from them mistakenly believing that the ereaders would ship from Canada. So it seems that they just get a commission for any units sold from Onyx. In which case, you'd just be better off ordering directly from Onyx.

As for taxes and duties, Canadian customs is really somewhat of a mystery. Sometimes I get charged, sometimes I don't. Below is a comment which I wrote in another thread about my experience with Canadian customs when ordering Onyx products via the ereader.store in Germany:

Quote Question Mark
I'm not sure how exactly Canadian customs works. It seems to be a bit of a lottery in my experience. Sometimes I get charged, while at other times I don't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I didn't have to pay any taxes or duties on my Nova Pro and Note Pro when they arrive earlier this year.

The year before, I had to pay $15.45 (about $5 in taxes and $10 in processing fees) when my Note arrived.

I forget exactly how much I had to pay when I got my Max. The shipping company made a number of mistakes and my package was delayed for a while at customs while things got sorted out. When it was finally delivered, the delivery person only charged me a fraction of what I had been told I would have to pay. Eventually, after they realized their mistake, they asked me to pay the remainder. However, they then waived the fee when I asked for a copy of all the paperwork. I suspect that they had lost it.

As for ordering from China, I suspect that the process would be much the same. Earlier this year, I ordered a Hisense A2 Pro dual screen phone from a store on Aliexpress. I wasn't charged any taxes or duties when it arrived.

Here is a link to a government website where you can check how much you might expect to pay in taxes and duty: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

But, for some reason, they don't always apply it. Not sure why.

#4  RL71 01-20-2020, 08:23 AM
Hello,

I bought my Note Plus from E-Readerweb.nl. They're from the Netherlands but deliver worldwide. For me it was the best price.
The Max 2 Pro costs now € 699,- and the Mx 3 € 859,-

The service was great. I orderd just after Christmas and on the site they said they were on holiday. But they send me the Note Plus right away!
http://e-readerweb.nl/index.php?item=&action=page&group_id=10000179&lang =nl
I don't know if these are reasonable prices for you.

Good luck.

#5  you sir name 01-22-2020, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the replies!
After some deliberatin' I'll probably order from the boox shop directly, since the Max 2 Pro is currently on sale + they have some special offer where they offer a duty refund. So if the duty lottery doesn't turn out in my favor, I may still have a chance to recoup some of my losses...
And if the reviews are to be trusted, their customer service isn't that bad...
(I got very close to ordering the Max 3 from the ereader-store but they only had it in white, which somehow turned me off.)

#6  you sir name 02-13-2020, 11:43 AM
So just by way of an update, I got mine yesterday. Import fees were CAD 87 (for an 880 CAD device), and it remains to be seen whether boox actually do refund it (as they claimed on their website).
Delivery was on the fast side: They said they wouldn't ship before Feb 3 on account of Chinese New Year, so I was aware of that, but then I got a tracking number on Feb 6 I think and the thing arrived in Quebec on Feb 10.

Had a brief email exchange with the boox people when I originally ordered it, because paypal had charged the wrong account and I had to cancel that initial order and start over. Not their fault, but paypal's, but still they were helpful.

Now I just gotta figure out how this thing works...

#7  Gibbo 02-13-2020, 01:20 PM
Got my nova pro from Amazon next day delivery postage free plus no import duty, very happy camper.

#8  whopper 02-14-2020, 10:05 AM
I'm all in with ereader.store . The support from waldemar is one of the best I've had online through the years, so it's a no brainer.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register