Mobileread
Lee Child retires, brother takes over the Jack Reacher series
#1  Paperbackstash 01-19-2020, 06:51 PM
In a twist that most authors would be proud of Jack Reacher has a new father. Or perhaps uncle.

The novelist Lee Child has declared that he is retiring from writing his renowned Reacher thrillers.

However, in what is thought to be a literary first, he is allowing his younger brother Andrew Grant authorial rights over the multimillion grossing series. As long as he changes his surname to Child first. So, Lee Child retires and a new Child is born.

Article link full

I still haven't gotten around to this series, but know it's popular.

#2  Luffy 01-20-2020, 08:34 AM
For some reason I didn't read this series. I was too busy reading Baldacci.

#3  MSWallack 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM
I haven't read any of Andrew Grant's books, but my father, who turned me onto Reacher in the first place, has read Grant books and said that they were not good.

#4  pwalker8 01-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Quote Luffy
For some reason I didn't read this series. I was too busy reading Baldacci.
I read the first one, but it just didn't appeal all that much to me.

#5  DiapDealer 01-20-2020, 01:20 PM
Like most open-ended and long-running book series, the premise and the main character tend to wear me out after four or five installments. Jack Reacher was no different for me. Child's retirement and named successor won't affect me. Plus I generally dislike authors "taking over" the writing of another author's series for just about any reason.

#6  ottdmk 01-20-2020, 01:41 PM
By a funny coincidence, my hold on Lee Child's "One Shot" just became available today. I enjoy the Reacher novels, but I've been spacing them out (a lot) because I'm pretty sure I'd burn out on them quickly.

As a result, it's going to be a long time before I end up reading any non-Lee Reacher books.

This one should be interesting. It was the basis for the first Tom Cruise Reacher film, which I actually enjoyed.

#7  leebase 01-20-2020, 02:53 PM
I love the Reacher series. In an unrelated note, I’ve been binging on Mitch Rapp and just hit the first “post author” book. Once I realized this...I went back to reading something else for awhile.

Sometimes these things work out. I’ve liked the Bourne series, Dune and Jack Ryan books after the original authors died.

I hope for good things for Jack Reacher going forward. I have about 5 more Reacher books to go before I run out.

#8  John F 01-20-2020, 02:54 PM
I'll give Grant's Reacher a try. Interesting that Lee is making Grant change his name. Does Grant actually change his name, or will it be Grant's pen name?

I can't access the full article, any date on the book release?

#9  mitford13 01-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Quote John F
I'll give Grant's Reacher a try. Interesting that Lee is making Grant change his name. Does Grant actually change his name, or will it be Grant's pen name?

The Bookseller says the first four will be in collaboration, with Grant taking over after that. First one out October 27 (UK).

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/lee-child-passes-jack-reacher-baton-his-younger-brother-1165551?fbclid=IwAR0ZKRhCct4CwCZlip6UntSTBZSlVbYuz EiOEV3YZRdVbh6qgHez_ct5Pnw

#10  pwalker8 01-20-2020, 04:10 PM
Quote John F

Lee Child is James Grant's pen name.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register