Mobileread
8" reader for saving articles from web to read/highlight
#1  mtreader 01-19-2020, 03:44 PM
I now use a Kobo Clara, but want a larger screen reader. I review many articles saved from my computer browser via Pocket. I love Kobo's built-in Pocket integration, but I want the ability to highlight text for export or reviewing later on a computer. I also want text-to-speech capability. It seems Pocketbook Inkpad 3 or Boyue Likebook Mars are the best options for ~8" readers under $250 and hope you might help guide my choice. Two questions:

1. I know I can install Pocket on the Mars, but does anyone know if it works as seamlessly as on Kobo? Will it allow me to highlight or/and export text easily?

2. Does Save to Pocketbook (built into Inkpad 3) work as seamlessly as Pocket? Pocket just lets you right-click any url to save it for auto-downloading to the Kobo and each article is saved separately (as if it was a book).

I welcome any feedback on highlighting/notetaking with either device (or general thoughts on Inkpad/Linux vs Mars/Android. Thank you!!!

#2  JSWolf 01-19-2020, 09:31 PM
Have you thought about the Kobo Forma which has an 8" screen?

#3  mtreader 01-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Yes-- the lack of any text-to-speech or audio drops it behind the others for me.

#4  stumped 01-20-2020, 01:56 PM
1. But when you save articles from web,into pocket or similar, there is no audio saved? So why is audio Important

2. Does it have to be e ink? Lots of 8 inch tablet options with audio exist?

3. Send to kindle works like pocket, if you get an Amazon device

#5  mtreader 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM
Stumped: I just like to be able to give my eyes a break from many hours at computer monitor, so I'm only looking at E-ink readers and want to occasionally listen instead if read. Pocketbook readers have integrated text-to-speech and there are many apps for Android that read articles or books.

I'm not interested in doing business with Amazon, but I also like the features set of Inkpad and Mars better. Thanks.

#6  LucyOne 01-21-2020, 07:49 AM
See my answer in a similar thread about sending articles to Pocketbooks:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...09&postcount=3

I'm not entirely sure but at the moment it is not possible to export notes from the Pocketbook devices using the built-in reader. You can do so, however, if you use Coolreader or KoReader, which I prefer over the built-in reader. You won't have TTS functionality in those external readers, though.

#7  LucyOne 01-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Update on notes: I am currently beta-testing firmware version 6.0 for the Pocketbook Touch HD3 and an exporting feature has been included. Notes can be saved as an HTML file.
I don't know when this firmware will be released for the Inkpad, though.

#8  mtreader 01-21-2020, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Lucyone,
When you say "notes," do you mean highlighted text, actual notes that a user types in, or both?

#9  LucyOne 01-21-2020, 03:53 PM
Both.
Second update: My Inkpad 3 has this feature, too. It must have been added with the 5.20 FW update.

#10  random42 01-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Interested in the outcome of this - right now seems like my winner Pocketbook HD3 is the winner.

Have kindle paperwhite but want something more flexible. I am tech saavy, want to send articles to e-ink, maybe browse web, saw PBHD3 has RSS support too!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register