Mobileread
Where are all the blind people?
#1  leebase 01-16-2020, 02:14 AM
This post springs from the Hisense video of the first color eInk phone. The Hisense executive was touting the health benefits of eInk.

Health Benefits of eInk.

Come on folks. There are something like 4 billion smartphone users in the world spending HOURS AND HOURS a day looking at their phones. Throw in another billion or so tablet users...and the decades we have had of PC/laptop users staring hours a day at their screens...another billion.

How many billion watch tv?

Now mind you. I'm not commenting on those who say they don't find reading on an "non-reflective" device comfortable. You know who you are and you know it it feels to you.

But come on. If there were truly "health dangers" to looking at screens for hours and hours a day....we'd have had an epidemic of blindness already. Long long long ago.

#2  binaryhermit 01-16-2020, 02:15 AM
I don't know if it's a health danger per se, but I find it so much nicer to read on a frontlit eink screen than a smartphone.

#3  Quoth 01-16-2020, 07:27 AM
There is no proven health issue. Some people find ambient lit reading (paper or eink) less tiring than LCD or OLED, Plasma or CRT.

Shiny screens are known to cause headaches due to eye refocusing on the reflections. Moving reflections are the worst. Shiny is simply cheaper than high quality non-reflective and has the illusion of looking "better" in a showroom.

Non-reflective vs Shiny is more important than eInk vs anything else.

#4  fjtorres 01-16-2020, 07:40 AM
The only proven physical impact of screen viewing is eyestrain from the extended fixed focus of the eyes, which is why breaks are recommended to allow the eye muscles to reset. The same effect comes from extended longer distance focus (i.e., driving). Both are temporary. Lighting type has nothing to do with it. Lighting intensity has some effect.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eyestrain/symptoms-causes/syc-20372397

#5  4691mls 01-16-2020, 11:59 AM
While my eyes prefer e-ink for long periods of reading (and I use a dedicated e-ink ereader for reading), I don't see the necessity (for me) of an e-ink phone. For my usage of my phone, the current technology is working.

#6  ps67 01-16-2020, 01:29 PM
For reading I need eink (I don't care about eventual Health Benefits, I am not comfortable in reading otherwise), but a eink phone is not really important for me.

#7  kyteflyer 01-16-2020, 02:45 PM
I wouldnt mind an e-nk phone, but I’m hooked into the Apple ecosystem so I think that isnt going to happen. In the meantime, theres e-ink devices for reading when upright, and the phone for when I am in bed (cant hold my kindle/kobo/prs in one hand whilst lying down... arthritis of thumbs and fingers)

#8  AnotherCat 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Quote leebase
Now mind you. I'm not commenting on those who say they don't find reading on an "non-reflective" device comfortable. You know who you are and you know it it feels to you...
Not only do they know who they are and how it feels to them but instead of addressing your question it seems they are all coming here to make sure that we all know who they are and how it feels to them.

#9  fjtorres 01-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Quote AnotherCat
Not only do they know who they are and how it feels to them but instead of addressing your question it seems they are all coming here to make sure that we all know who they are and how it feels to them.
Not much else to do here.

#10  4691mls 01-16-2020, 05:17 PM
Quote AnotherCat
People's bodies are different. One person may be able to eat a certain food with no problem while another person is deathly allergic to the same food.

I see no reason why there couldn't be differences in people's eyes so that some people are bothered by blue light, LCD, or whatever, while others are fine with it. (No, I'm not a scientist and admittedly this is just my opinion.)

Although I don't personally have a need for an e-ink phone at this point, I think it's great to have a variety of devices available. Maybe some people will find an e-ink phone easier on their eyes. Or maybe someone who works outside all day would like to have e-ink so they could read it more easily in bright sunlight.

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register