Mobileread
Good ereader for technologically savvy user
#1  LoganW 01-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Before I start, let me say that I'm not really interested in which ecosystem is better or in being told Amazon sucks. I've used both Kobos and Kindles in the past, am fully fluent in breaking DRM and editing ebooks and have loaded other OSes onto Kobos previously. I use Sigil to regularly edit the formatting in ebooks (can't stand atrocious formatting).

While I'm willing to do some initial setup (like load KOreader), I want something that requires the minimal amount of fiddling afterward.

The nice thing about Kindle is that it is simple and solid. But this also means that you have very little control and have to do any formatting before loading it on to the Kindle.

Really wasn't a fan of Kobo's UI, but can and probably would load KOreader (or is there another OS that I am unaware of?). However, I also don't want to avoid fiddling with the setting on each ebook either, if I can avoid it.

I've seen other ereaders out there but nothing that seems to really be at the level of those two. Am I missing some that I should consider? Not really interested in the android ereaders, as long battery life is a requirement.

Some other notes:
bigger than 6" is a must.
Good battery life is a must.
Would like to be able to organize collections in Calibre,
Use Overdrive regularly (presumably KOreader would eliminate the Kobo's ability to check out from the device?)
I like the epub format but can convert to mobi easily of course.

Sorry if this is a bit scattered, I'm not sure which questions to ask. If I'm looking for an ereader and have the option of putting my own firmware on it, what would be recommended? I don't use Calibre a ton with my Kindle but am open to becoming more dependent on it.

#2  ps67 01-07-2020, 02:42 PM
I did not install KORreader on my Kindle because it requires jailbreack and it is beyond my technology level. I installed it on my Kobo because it is very easy to do it and it is not required jailbreack.

I don't understand what You ask about KOReader and Overdrive (I talk of Kobo), there is no Overdrive here but why KOReader should interfere with it? Of course You won't be able to read Your borrowed book with KOReder, You will read them with the standard Kobo software that will continue to work normally when You will not be in KOReader. I borrow books using ADE without problems, simply I can't read them with KOReader.

Kobo has the best interaction with calibre, collection can be easily handled by it. You can also change the metadata using calibre.

But of course, if You use KOReaer it has a different handling of books: it has a real file manager.

Bigger than 6" (Kindle and Kobo): Kindle Oasis 7", Kobo Libra H2O 7", Kobo Forma 8".

#3  ZodWallop 01-07-2020, 03:13 PM
For your list (battery life, organize in Calibre, Overdrive, epub), I'd still recommend a Kobo. A Libra. Maybe a Forma.

You mentioned not liking Kobo's UI. Not sure when you last used it, but there have been some changes just in the last couple of firmware updates. Not sure if these would make the UI better or worse for you. But at least KOReader is always an option if it still doesn't appeal.

#4  LoganW 01-07-2020, 03:50 PM
So among the other ereader manufacturers (Tolino, Boyue, Onyx Boox) the Kindle Oasis and the Kobo Libra/Forma would still be top?

It's probably been four years or so since I last looked at Kobo.

Are there any other options to KOreader? There was something called PBChess that had a reader a while back that I loaded on a Kobo Mini I think. KOreader would still be most developed and runs fast on the Kobos?

#5  JSWolf 01-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Quote LoganW
So among the other ereader manufacturers (Tolino, Boyue, Onyx Boox) the Kindle Oasis and the Kobo Libra/Forma would still be top?

It's probably been four years or so since I last looked at Kobo.

Are there any other options to KOreader? There was something called PBChess that had a reader a while back that I loaded on a Kobo Mini I think. KOreader would still be most developed and runs fast on the Kobos?
Given that you don't want Android, yes, the Kobo you be your best choice.

The question is, what is it about KOReader that you like that the built in software cannot do?

#6  LoganW 01-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Well, not having worked with either KOReader or Kobo firmware in the last four years, I'm not sure---but it's nice to have options, and community-developed stuff is attractive. Plus, who knows how long Kobo will be around...

Out of curiosity, has the Kobo build quality improved? Hate Amazon or not, their Oasis is a beautiful and solid piece of hardware. The last Kobo I had was the Aura HD and that squeaked when gripping it.

#7  Sirtel 01-07-2020, 05:08 PM
Quote LoganW
Well, not having worked with either KOReader or Kobo firmware in the last four years, I'm not sure---but it's nice to have options, and community-developed stuff is attractive. Plus, who knows how long Kobo will be around...

Out of curiosity, has the Kobo build quality improved? Hate Amazon or not, their Oasis is a beautiful and solid piece of hardware. The last Kobo I had was the Aura HD and that squeaked when gripping it.
I have the latest Kobo, Libra H2O. While it's possibly not as beautiful as the Oasis, it's solidly built and very comfortable to hold. Having used only Kindles before, I certainly don't have any complaints about the Libra build quality. It's solid and stable. That goes for the software too.

#8  LoganW 01-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Thanks, that's helpful. Had you used either the Voyage or the Oasis 2 or are you comparing to something like the Paperwhite? Those two former are kind of the pinnacle of hardware design from what I've seen.

#9  Sirtel 01-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Quote LoganW
Thanks, that's helpful. Had you used either the Voyage or the Oasis 2 or are you comparing to something like the Paperwhite? Those two former are kind of the pinnacle of hardware design from what I've seen.
Yes, I have the Voyage, the Oasis 2017 and the Oasis 2019.

#10  LoganW 01-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Perfect, thanks.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register