Mobileread
Replacment for Voyage?
#1  astmario 01-05-2020, 08:19 AM
My Voyage is ready for replacment, touch doesn't work as it should, it freezes often, but I still find it has best contast, better than oasis 1 that is. What is appropriate replacment considering screen quality?
I sideload books, so eco system is not important.

#2  Gibbo 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM
Another voyage?

#3  Sirtel 01-05-2020, 10:00 AM
No ereader I've seen has had as good a contrast as the Voyage. My Oasis 3 and Kobo Libra have similar contrast, but not quite the same level as my Voyage has.

#4  stumped 01-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Quote Sirtel
No ereader I've seen has had as good a contrast as the Voyage. My Oasis 3 and Kobo Libra have similar contrast, but not quite the same level as my Voyage has.
curious: why is that? what combination of materials does the Voyage use that other devices dont?

#5  Tarana 01-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Quote Sirtel
Agreed. That's why I have 4 of them. The last 2 come from Woot.com and work great. I think I paid $89 for them. I never tried it against the Oasis though.

#6  CWatkinsNash 01-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Quote stumped
curious: why is that? what combination of materials does the Voyage use that other devices dont?
The only thing I can figure is the composition / spacing of the front layers, since the Voyage was the first Kindle to have the flush front.

If I put my Voyage and PW4 next to each other, I can get the PW4 close by notching the bold setting up by one, but it's still not the same. I can switch between them and it's not noticeable enough to actually bother me when reading, but on a different level I'm kind of bothered that Amazon can't seem to recreate whatever they did there.

#7  bookyboy 01-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Another voyage is the answer...

I did the full run through all other Kobo and Kindle models out right now (literally all), and I’m back to 2 Voyages (one is backup) from eBay

There has yet to be another reader, that I’ve seen, that matches its clarity and sharp crisp text.

#8  barryem 01-06-2020, 10:20 PM
I've read several comments about the Voyage screen not working as it should and my Voyage has been getting more and more finicky lately too. Today I was unable to get into a collection. I rebooted it and it still didn't work. I'm giving it to someone I know who can hopefully get better use out of it than I am.

I'm mostly reading on a phone now so I won't bother to replace it. I do have the latest Paperwhite if I need it.

Barry

#9  rowe 01-19-2020, 01:44 PM
The Voyage is the best screen I've had IMO. Better than the Oasis 1/2, Pocketbook HD3, or Nova Pros I've owned.

I've now got a Poke Pro which is my favourite device. The screen hardware isn't quite as good as the Voyage, but because you have much more control over typography on the Poke I think it has the edge on how pages display.

#10  JSWolf 01-19-2020, 02:58 PM
Quote bookyboy
Another voyage is the answer...

I did the full run through all other Kobo and Kindle models out right now (literally all), and I’m back to 2 Voyages (one is backup) from eBay

There has yet to be another reader, that I’ve seen, that matches its clarity and sharp crisp text.
You do realize that having a backup Kindle is not good for the battery. You have to charge it every so often even if you don't use it and if you don't, it goes flat and that's also not good. So let's say your first Voyage lasts for 5 years. I would say the 2nd Voyage woiuld then last maybe 2.5-3 years So your 2nd Voyage would not be as good as the first.

Thank Amazon for not allowing Kindles to be turned off.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register