Mobileread
Romance Writers of America implodes over handling of criticism of racism
#1  hildea 01-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Note: This topic may be seen as political, but since it's definitively related to books I hope it won't be moved to the Politics and Religion subforum.

Romance Writers of America (RWA) is a trade organization for (you guessed it) romance writers. It's currently having a dramatic meltdown over their handling of racism and other bigotry.

What's happened is briefly:(A lot more details and links here:https://www.claireryanauthor.com/blog/2019/12/27/the-implosion-of-the-rwa )

It will be interesting to see how this plays out!

#2  doreenjoy 01-01-2020, 08:52 AM
The Guardian has a good article on this.

#3  cfrizz 01-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Wow, it sounds like this whole organization needs to disband and everyone go their own way!

#4  Greg Anos 01-01-2020, 12:18 PM
I guess there isn't a lot of love left in Romance!

#5  haertig 01-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Simple. This is political correctness run amuck. It always runs amuck. That is why I shun political correctness at every turn.

#6  ZodWallop 01-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Quote haertig
Simple. This is political correctness run amuck. It always runs amuck. That is why I shun political correctness at every turn.
I just don't see it. I think you are making a lazy argument not supported by the facts.

There's no political correctness involved. You can't just go painting everything with a broad brush like that.

#7  hildea 01-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Quote cfrizz
Wow, it sounds like this whole organization needs to disband and everyone go their own way!
Well, a trade organisation is obviously useful. And this one has about 3 million dollars, I can see why people who have spent time and money building it up are reluctant to abandon it to racists without a fight. Especially since there's some evidence of creative financial acrobatics from the president-elect.

#8  rcentros 01-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Quote hildea
...has criticised Tisdale for keeping an aquisition editor on staff who has a history of supporting racist statements.
So nothing specifically against Tisdale herself/himself... and what does a "history of supporting racist statements" mean exactly? How do you support a racist statement?

Not knowing the specifics, this looks a lot like a personal spat where (what used to be called) the "race card" is being used to damage the reputation of an enemy. In other words, just scanning this, it looks like they're "gaming the system."

#9  CRussel 01-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Quote doreenjoy
The Guardian has a good article on this.
Link please?

Charlie.

#10  pwalker8 01-01-2020, 06:22 PM
Quote rcentros
So nothing specifically against Tisdale herself/himself... and what does a "history of supporting racist statements" mean exactly? How do you support a racist statement?

Not knowing the specifics, this looks a lot like a personal spat where (what used to be called) the "race card" is being used to damage the reputation of an enemy. In other words, just scanning this, it looks like they're "gaming the system."
That's pretty much my take also.

Next »  Last »  (1/22)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register