Mobileread
What's wrong with this pic?
#1  Tuneraider 11-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Does anyone see something odd about this? Can anyone SHINE a little light on why this was did? I got this used. I edited the serial and web#'s for safety reasons.
IMG_20191121_133239.jpg 

#2  DNSB 11-23-2019, 03:38 PM
Other than a firmware version that I have never seen listed as being available for a Tolino Vision 3 HD? Though I've seen it for a Shine. Did someone manually install the firmware? I'd suggest a manual install of the latest firmware for the Vision 3 HD using the 1.7.1 to 10.1.0 upgrade package.

Edit: Please note that any upgrade on this device will have risks if that firmware version was intended for a different device.

#3  Tuneraider 11-23-2019, 03:45 PM
Thanks,
That gives me something to go on. It was like that when i got it. I tried the latest Vision 3 FW but it would't work that way. That's when i first noticed the Shine FW was installed on it.

#4  ottischwenk 11-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Quote Tuneraider
Thanks,
That gives me something to go on. It was like that when i got it. I tried the latest Vision 3 FW but it would't work that way. That's when i first noticed the Shine FW was installed on it.
There is no difference. Shine 2 HD has the same firmware as Vision 3 HD.

#5  Tuneraider 11-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Quote ottischwenk
There is no difference. Shine 2 HD has the same firmware as Vision 3 HD.
It has the first Shine firmware (before the Shine 2 came out) loaded on it.

#6  rcentros 11-24-2019, 03:28 AM
Quote Tuneraider
Does anyone see something odd about this? Can anyone SHINE a little light on why this was did? I got this used. I edited the serial and web#'s for safety reasons.
That's the original Shine's (1.0 and "1.5") firmware. I'm surprised it loaded on a Vision 3 HD. Did you do this just to see if it could be done?

EDIT: I shouldn't have commented until I read the whole thread. I'm guessing you're going to have to start with one of the earliest firmware releases for the Vision 3 and work your way up. (If it will let you do it.)

https://mytolino.de/updates/tolino-vision-3hd-software-update/

You might try the update to 12.2.0 with the update from 1.7.1 to 10.1.0 on the above page.

EDIT 2: But here's an upgrade TO 10.1.0 from earlier versions found by using the WayBack machine at Archive.org. So that might be the better place to start since this is an earlier version number than what's on the Vision 3.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170614031726/http://mytolino.com/updates/tolino-vision-3-hd

I can verify that the download link still works.

#7  rcentros 11-24-2019, 03:39 AM
Quote Tuneraider
Does the Vision 3 HD work okay with this old software? (Just curious, I know you still want to upgrade for the newer features.)

#8  Tuneraider 11-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Quote rcentros
Does the Vision 3 HD work okay with this old software? (Just curious, I know you still want to upgrade for the newer features.)
Surprisingly good really. I've only read one approx 300 pg book with it but it worked as expected when reading. The only thing close to a bug was a couple of times when the next page came up it seemed to refresh the page and a small transparent button appeared saying push to return to previous page.
I tried updating to the 12.2.0 earlier. When I checked to see if it had updated is when I finally caught the odd fw version.
My guess is that something was changed either on the reader or the update to get the Shine firmware to work.
Thanks for the link, I hadn't found the archived one.

#9  Tuneraider 11-24-2019, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure what I did different this time but one thing is I reset it with a paperclip.
IMG_20191124_113655.jpg 

#10  rcentros 11-24-2019, 01:21 PM
Quote Tuneraider
I'm not sure what I did different this time but one thing is I reset it with a paperclip.
Happy to see that! The main reason I like the newer firmware is that it works better with custom fonts. Having 12.2.0 will also make the upgrade to 13.1.1 possible when (if?) it gets released for the older Tolinos. (Currently only available for the three new ones, Epos 2, Vision 5 and Page 2.) The only feature that I would be interested in trying (that I know about) is the white on black screen that it will have.) Even if 13.1.1 becomes available I think I'll wait to make sure there's no major bugs. 12.2.0 works well.

Edit: By "works better with custom fonts" I mean it's less picky. Some of my fonts wouldn't install on the older firmware, but started working in 12.2.0.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register