Mobileread
Audible on 2018 Porsche
#1  Sydney's Mom 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM
I spent all day downloading all my unread books from Audible onto an SD card, thinking I could just plug it into my car (2018 Porsche McCann) and thereby free up my phone. But when I put the SD card in, it said no playable files. Sounds just like kindle books, before Calibre. I can play the books just fine from my phone, but it ties it up and uses the battery. There is a jukebox and SD card on the radio, but neither would play my SD files. I have found a very old ipod, and once it charges I will download my books into iTunes and play that through apple play. But there must be some way to get the audible files I own un DRMed so I can play them in the car.

#2  FizzyWater 11-20-2019, 09:11 PM
You might want to try this thread. A couple of programs are discussed to convert your Audible books to MP3s.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288032

There used to be a way via Audible Manager to burn your Audible books to CDs (multiple CDs per book), with a limitation of doing so only once each book. No idea if that's still possible (or desirable).

#3  Sydney's Mom 11-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Quote FizzyWater
You might want to try this thread. A couple of programs are discussed to convert your Audible books to MP3s.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288032

There used to be a way via Audible Manager to burn your Audible books to CDs (multiple CDs per book), with a limitation of doing so only once each book. No idea if that's still possible (or desirable).
Thank you!

#4  Apache 11-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Quote Sydney's Mom
Thank you!
Can't you plug your phone in so it charges while you play your books? On my wife's car I plug the phone into a USB port to charge and play. If I use my Onkyo, it will not play music through USP. I charge it using USB and play through Bluetooth or Aux In Cable.
Apache

#5  pwalker8 11-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Quote Apache
Can't you plug your phone in so it charges while you play your books? On my wife's car I plug the phone into a USB port to charge and play. If I use my Onkyo, it will not play music through USP. I charge it using USB and play through Bluetooth or Aux In Cable.
Apache
I use an iPhone with carplay. Works like a champ. The iPhone gets charged, and I can listen to books, listen to music or if I have good signal, stream other stuff. I would think that a 2018 Porshe most certainly supports CarPlay (Apple) and Auto (Android).

#6  CRussel 11-21-2019, 01:31 PM
I found CarPlay unreliable, at best, on my wife's Subaru. So I switched her to using simple Bluetooth, which works reliably and predictably. And she charges off the USB ports from one of those cigarette lighter adapters, to make sure that CarPlay doesn't try to take over. (This is a completely NON-Apple house, with the sole exception of the two iPhones.)

#7  Sydney's Mom 11-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Yes, I can use my phone to listen. But then I can't use my phone to check messages, etc. It really makes me mad that I can't use the jukebox and upload the books. I found an old fire tablet that no one wants and that Amazon will only give me $10, so I uninstalled everything and just downloaded all my unread books. I will bring a long cord and stick it in the back seat.

Husband and I are non-Apple. My college age daughter has and iPhone, two ipads and two apple computers. Just wait until she is paying for her tech!

#8  pwalker8 11-21-2019, 10:28 PM
Quote Sydney's Mom
Yes, I can use my phone to listen. But then I can't use my phone to check messages, etc. It really makes me mad that I can't use the jukebox and upload the books. I found an old fire tablet that no one wants and that Amazon will only give me $10, so I uninstalled everything and just downloaded all my unread books. I will bring a long cord and stick it in the back seat.

Husband and I are non-Apple. My college age daughter has and iPhone, two ipads and two apple computers. Just wait until she is paying for her tech!
You know you really should be checking messages while driving. Just saying.

#9  pwalker8 11-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Quote CRussel
I found CarPlay unreliable, at best, on my wife's Subaru. So I switched her to using simple Bluetooth, which works reliably and predictably. And she charges off the USB ports from one of those cigarette lighter adapters, to make sure that CarPlay doesn't try to take over. (This is a completely NON-Apple house, with the sole exception of the two iPhones.)
Hum, I've had no problems, but I guess it depends a lot on how it's implemented on a particular car or head unit. I know that the base implementation of the Honda Pilot entertainment center is a piece of trash that I had frequent issues with, and that didn't have CarPlay. I swapped it out for a Kenwood unit that had CarPlay and have had no problems over the past 9 months.

The main reason for using carplay was so I didn't have to look at my phone while driving.

#10  CRussel 11-22-2019, 01:08 AM
Quote pwalker8
The main reason for using carplay was so I didn't have to look at my phone while driving.
I don't, with just the Bluetooth connection. All I really need from the phone is be able to answer it (from the steering wheel), make a call (with Siri from the steering wheel), and play Audible books or other audio content. All on the console screen.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register