Mobileread
OverDrive drops support for Mac
#1  odamizu 09-14-2019, 05:01 PM
Statement from OverDrive:

“Due to upcoming macOS changes, and to simplify the user experience, OverDrive will soon end support for OverDrive for Mac. Effective September 4, 2019, OverDrive for Mac will no longer be available for download and Mac users will no longer see the option to download audiobook titles at your OverDrive website. Instead, Mac users can enjoy audiobooks using OverDrive Listen from [McGill’s OverDrive] library website."
If I understand correctly, "OverDrive Listen" is a web browser streaming option, which means you now need an active Internet connection if you want to listen to library audiobooks on a Mac.

https://mcgill.ca/channels/channels/news/overdrive-changes-mcgill-community-and-mac-users-300113

Also: https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/1322.htm

#2  JSWolf 09-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Is there a version of Libby for OS X?

#3  odamizu 09-15-2019, 01:17 AM
Quote JSWolf
Is there a version of Libby for OS X?
As far as I can tell, there is a Libby app for iOS as well as an OverDrive app for iOS, but neither are available for macOS. The only option for Mac computers is to stream through a browser with an always-on Internet connection.

#4  haertig 09-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Can you run Overdrive under WINE on a Mac?

https://www.winehq.org/

#5  odamizu 09-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Interesting. I never thought of WINE on Mac as I associate it with Linux. Don't know if OverDrive will work.

I tested the Windows version of OverDrive running on VM on Mac. That works.

But it's sad that OverDrive has dropped support for off-line listening on Mac computers. Though I suppose most people listen to audiobooks via apps nowadays.

#6  pwalker8 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Quote odamizu
Interesting. I never thought of WINE on Mac as I associate it with Linux. Don't know if OverDrive will work.

I tested the Windows version of OverDrive running on VM on Mac. That works.

But it's sad that OverDrive has dropped support for off-line listening on Mac computers. Though I suppose most people listen to audiobooks via apps nowadays.
I suspect that's the case. I also suspect that if they had their way, some of these services would drop their support for off-line listening all together.

#7  odamizu 09-28-2019, 05:51 PM
As of yesterday, OverDrive restored support for the Mac desktop app and the downloading of mp3s for Macs running 10.6 (Snow Leopard) thru 10.14 (Mojave).

They have stated, however, that they have no plans to update OverDrive for Mac to make it compatible with Catalina (10.15):

OverDrive for Mac and OverDrive MP3 audiobooks will not be compatible with the upcoming macOS version 10.15 (Catalina), expected to be released in October 2019. This is because Apple requires all apps in macOS Catalina or newer to be 64-bit, and OverDrive for Mac (which is required for downloading MP3 audiobooks) is 32-bit.

https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/1322.htm

#8  JSWolf 09-28-2019, 05:55 PM
Apple is really screwing the pooch by going 64-bit only.

#9  haertig 10-03-2019, 01:01 AM
Is there a reason why Apple would not want to support 32-bit applications? Or are they just not supporting them "because we're Apple and we have a long history of forcing things on our users"? I'm thinking it might be more the latter.

Sure, 64-bit apps would see benefits that 32-bits apps wouldn't, but why would Apple care what version a user wanted to run? No skin off Apple's nose if a user has older software that they'd like to keep using.

#10  CRussel 10-03-2019, 02:13 AM
It's _always_ easier to simply drop support for legacy. And can often result in real savings in other ways, such as security and hardware. Apple, being a closed system, has no real compelling reason to want to provide legacy support -- they want you to buy new.

Microsoft faced this when they moved to 64-bit Windows. They dropped support for 16-bit apps, but supported 32-bit apps (and, in fact, continue to ship 32-bit versions of the consumer version of Windows to this day.)

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register