Mobileread
Broke my voyage glass :(
#1  sowzeli 08-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Hi.

My kindle voyage was in my back pocket and I sat on it. Now the screen is broken as you can see in the picture.

But I still can use the side buttons to turn to another page, and lights are working fine. The only thing that doesn't work is touch.

I read other threads, some users suggested buying screen from aliexpress, I have two questions:

1.I don't know if I have to buy whole new touch screen, or just the front panel which is broken. How can I know which one should I buy?

2.Are those aliexpress screens are legit? or they are built in china and low quality?

Thanks.
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.15.01 PM.png 

#2  lumpynose 08-23-2019, 03:17 PM
Subconsciously you really wanted to upgrade to an Oasis.

#3  sowzeli 08-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Quote lumpynose
Subconsciously you really wanted to upgrade to an Oasis.
hahaha Actually I don't like Oasis.
I bought a paperwhite, But I'll sell it when I fix my voyage.

I don't like the design of Oasis, specially that big handle part. and It is not as comfortable as voyage or paperwhite to carry around in my pocket.

#4  Dr. Drib 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM
The Voyage units are sometimes put on sale as refurbished units. I believe a sale was just posted here last week.

It may be cheaper (and maybe less of a hassle) to wait a bit to see if something turns up.

#5  DrD123 08-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Looks like Amazon sells refurbed voyages for $139, which might be your best bet. Alibaba has vendors that sell the digitizer and that sell the screen (possibly integrated with digitizer?) - the two are fused together, so you really want a display assembly. Most of the cheaper/broken voyages I see on ebay have a broken screen... haven't seen any that someone has bricked for a while, or which is locked.

#6  Dr. Drib 08-24-2019, 09:06 AM
In checking some previous threads over in the Deals forum, on Aug. 14, Woot had some refurbished Voyages for $75.00. (They sell out VERY quickly!)

They're long gone, but more will most likely turn up if you have enough patience to wait.

Anyway, keep an eye on the Deals forum, the forum where Mobileread's members are supposed to post such things.

#7  Deskisamess 08-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Certified Refurbished Voyage, in stock September 1:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Kindle-reader-Special/dp/B00JAKA678/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Certified+refurbished+voyage&q id=1566654929&s=digital-text&sr=1-1-catcorr

Certified refurbs carry the same 12 month warranty.

#8  sowzeli 08-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Voyage refurbished for $139 is good also. I already bought the new paperwhite, I just wanted to fix my voyage. voyage glass and e-ink display are fused together, and the lowest I could find was $60 in aliexpress. and It doesn't worth paying that much while you can buy a certified refurbished for $139.

Another idea came up to my mind, My voyage is working fine, I use the side buttons to turn to another pages, I wanted to search If I could find a way to change the current book that I'm reading by tweaking voyage configuration files, or by jailbreaking it. I don't know.

I may create a new thread about it.

Thanks guys, again, I didn't know there is a such friendly forum for readers, I'm glad I joined you

#9  93terp 08-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Voyages are once again available on Woot.com. They are labeled as "Open Box" units.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/kindle-voyage-6-e-reader-brand-new-18?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_3_1

#10  Dr. Drib 08-25-2019, 01:22 PM
^ And now already showing as sold out, unfortunately.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register