Mobileread
Driving myself crazy! All I want to do is rename 2019 KFX amazon eBooks
#1  donrie 08-23-2019, 03:56 AM
I have a new Kindle Oasis (2019) and I can't rename the KFX files it downloads so my collection sort by order you should read them... DRM prevents me.

I have installed the DeDRM, KFX Output/Input plugins. I download a eBook then connect my Kindle to my computer. It won't let me transfer KFX to library, so I manually browse the direct and add the KFX file to Calibre. I see the art and everything looks good, I edit it how I want. When I save it says there is DRM.

I've spent hours and hours googling this. It seems I must use a later firmware or something because the newer firmware doesn't work? I have no idea. The only workaround I have found is downloading via USB from amazon site as AWZ3 files. However, then I lose many perks like X Ray.

I'd really appreciate a step by step or if this is even possible on the 2019 models...

#2  pdurrant 08-23-2019, 04:25 AM
You'll need to download the books from Amazon's website 'for transfer via USB' to your Kindle. That will give you AZW3 files instead of KFX files, although still with DRM

Then you need to read Apprentice Alf's blog. http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

#3  donrie 08-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Quote pdurrant
You'll need to download the books from Amazon's website 'for transfer via USB' to your Kindle. That will give you AZW3 files instead of KFX files, although still with DRM

Then you need to read Apprentice Alf's blog. http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
So sadly there is no way to get all the extra perks (like X Ray) only offered when you download ebooks directly in KFX format?

#4  pdurrant 08-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Quote donrie
So sadly there is no way to get all the extra perks (like X Ray) only offered when you download ebooks directly in KFX format?
I beleive there's a KFX export plugin for calibre. Whether the book would still sync up with Amazon's X-Ray stuff, I don't know.

#5  jhowell 08-23-2019, 04:06 PM
I am going to toss out an alternative for your consideration.

I use calibre to manage my ebook library. It lets me track books to be read and I can organize them in any way I desire. Once I pick a book to read I go to my kindle and use the search function to find the title, select the book and start reading. I don't use the Kindle's library feature at all. I have something much better in calibre.

#6  Sirtel 08-24-2019, 12:29 PM
If you want to remove the DRM and rename the files, then no, you won't be able to use the X-ray anymore. That feature only works with direct Amazon downloads. So you have to decide which of the two is more important for you.

#7  pdurrant 08-25-2019, 02:51 AM
Quote jhowell
I am going to toss out an alternative for your consideration.

I use calibre to manage my ebook library. It lets me track books to be read and I can organize them in any way I desire. Once I pick a book to read I go to my kindle and use the search function to find the title, select the book and start reading. I don't use the Kindle's library feature at all. I have something much better in calibre.
I agree - I very rarely choose my next read from my Kindle.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register