Mobileread
New message when I open Sigil 0.9.17
#1  dynabook 08-17-2019, 05:27 PM
When I open a file in Sigil I get a message that "Files exist in manifest which are not in epub. They will be ignored." What am I to do with this information? How can I find out what these files are? Are they unnecessary? Should i Find them and remove them???

--MH

#2  DiapDealer 08-17-2019, 05:57 PM
What OS? And the answer to "how you can find what files these are" is to click the details button on that dialog. It will list all the files.

First find out if the epub passes EPubcheck validation. Report back with that info and we'll go from there.

#3  dynabook 08-17-2019, 07:25 PM
I am running MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). The epub passes the epubcheck 4.2.2.

The details button gves a list of files. My question is: Does this list include the files not in the manifest? should I compare to the manifest?

--MH

#4  DiapDealer 08-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Yes. The list of files in the dialog box is the list of files Sigil _thinks_ is not in the manifest. That may or may not actually be the case. Does the list appear to be every file in the epub? And does this happen with every epub you open or just some?

Kevin's been looking into a similar issue reported by a Mac user, so I'll let him take over. He understands the specifics better than I do.

#5  KevinH 08-17-2019, 08:11 PM
We have a Mac debug build that will list the files it finds in the zip along with what it thinks in the manifest.

Please see this bug report:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/issues/448

It has a link to a special build for Mac to debug just this type of error. It has instructions on how to download, unpack, and run it with a special environment variable.

If you are willing to help us debug what is going on please check out this Sigil issue which has all the info you should need to help track this one down.

I think that build also has some changes to how files are launched from macOS with open with and drag or drop, so you could report on whether they help or not.

Please let me know if you are willing to help out.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote dynabook
I am running MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). The epub passes the epubcheck 4.2.2.

The details button gves a list of files. My question is: Does this list include the files not in the manifest? should I compare to the manifest?

--MH

#6  dynabook 08-18-2019, 02:22 PM
I read the bug report. I probably have done the following:

1. When Sigil was downloaded and installed last you did not manually drag it from your Downloads folder to your Desktop before mounting the dmg file and copying Sigil.app.
When this happens macOS's gatekeeper runs the app in a sandbox actually moved away from the applications location. This would cause all kinds of manifest warnings.
I will redownload and reinstall to see if that fixes it. Of course that will not test your other fixes but I will report back.

--MH

#7  dynabook 08-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Steps:

1. Remove Sigil and PageEdit from /Applications and empty trash.
2. Redownload Sigil and PageEdit from Github.
3. Pull Sigil and PageEdit DMGs from Download folder to Desktop.
4. Open DMG and drag Sigil to /Applications. Do same for PageEdit.

Run Sigil and receive same message as before. Get message for any epub opened. All files listed seem to be in manifest.

I will investigate using the special build.

--MH

#8  KevinH 08-18-2019, 02:45 PM
If you go farther down that bug report you will see the link to the special debug build of Sigil for mac and instructions on how to install and use it.

The debug log file created in your Desktop as a result of the test with that epub should tell us all we need to know.

Please give it a try and let us know what the debug log says (via pm here is necessary).

#9  dynabook 08-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Uploaded debug file after having to "man zip" and create Github account! Been a while.

Do you want me to post here as well?
--MH

#10  KevinH 08-18-2019, 04:03 PM
No need. I just grabbed it form the issue.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register