Mobileread
What is the future of reading?
#1  Mitchie23 08-16-2019, 12:19 AM
Just recently decided to switch to e-books when I read an articlestating all the pros and cons of e-books and print books. E-books are so much cheaper than printed copies, and it helps save millions of trees being cut down every day.

I'm just having a hard time looking for sources where I can read e-books for free (since I don't have that much budget yet to buy copies).

I'd be glad to take any suggestion!

#2  Pulpmeister 08-16-2019, 01:23 AM
Well, obviously, here in the MobileRead libraries, to begin with.

#3  RobertDDL 08-16-2019, 04:21 AM
Yes, free e-books are much cheaper than printed books you have to buy! Otherwise, not necessarily so, though this depends on where you live, and what books you read, but there are printed books to be had for a few cents second hand, or for free at libraries. Which, of course, is not meant to discourage you from reading e-books, free or not. Pulpmeister has given good advice, and then there are all the free e-books on Project Gutenberg, and, for instance, also a small library which I'm not allowed to mention here.

E-books can only be legitimately free when they are out of copyright, or when the author has deliberately decided to give them away for free (either out of the goodness of their hearts, or for promotional reasons, in which case it's usually the first book of a series, the next ones will have to be bought). If you find other e-books for free, they are pirated, and this is very much not something we want to support or encourage here.

#4  Luffy 08-16-2019, 07:12 AM
Quote Mitchie23
Just recently decided to switch to e-books when I read an articlestating all the pros and cons of e-books and print books. E-books are so much cheaper than printed copies, and it helps save millions of trees being cut down every day.

I'm just having a hard time looking for sources where I can read e-books for free (since I don't have that much budget yet to buy copies).

I'd be glad to take any suggestion!
Look at the 99 cents bargains on Amazon. Depending on your vetting process or attention span, you are bound to get great finds there or for FREE on gutenberg. E.g all the books of Charles Dickens are free as e-books on the latter site. That's a lot of reading material. Then you have Melville or Dumas, or Cervantes.

#5  Deskisamess 08-16-2019, 07:20 AM
There are sites that track price drops you can sign up on, and create lists of books you'd like to read. They notify of price drops etc. Bookbub and ereaderiq are two well known sites. Freereadfeed is another, although I've not gone there lately.

Many Public libraries offer ebooks, depending on your location and what device you use to read. I'm fortunate to live in an area with good libraries that offer a broad range of ebooks I can read on my Kindles.

Amazon's offering of freebies is also fairly broad on any given day, depending on the genres you like to read.

#6  GlenBarrington 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM
The future of Reading is an inherently linear one. It's just one damn word after another.

#7  Dr. Drib 08-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Quote GlenBarrington
The future of Reading is an inherently linear one. It's just one damn word after another.
Unless one is a Borg!

#8  ZodWallop 08-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Depending on where you live, Kindles and Kobos can access public libraries and allow you to read books for free, legally.

#9  fjtorres 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Obligatory reference to the BAEN FREE LIBRARY:

https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2012

#10  barryem 08-16-2019, 05:05 PM
I signed up to both bookbub.com and bookgorilla.com and specified Amazon as my book source with them. Each sends me a list of books on sale at Amazon every day. Typically the sale price is $2 although $3 isn't uncommon. There is usually a free one listed as well. I've found this to be an excellent source of pointers to bargains.

When I got my new Paperwhite it included a 6 month free subscription to Kindle Unlimited, which I signed up for. They have something like a million and a half books and I can borrow them freely as long as I'm a member. Membership is $10 a month.

These don't include books from the big 5 publishers so I assumed I wasn't going to be interested beyond my free 6 months. However, during that period I found a lot of books by authors I'd never read and some were excellent. A few of the books were books I'd have never bought at their $10 price, never having heard of the author, but since they were free I gave them a try and I'm really glad I did.

I have enough books in my library to keep me in good books for the rest of my life but I've found that Kindle Unlimited has improved my reading so i didn't cancel after my 6 months was up. I still haven't decided if I'm going to but I've been paying for it for a few months now and I can't deny I'm enjoying it. I don't need it and I really can't afford it but I'm very glad I have it.

If you pay the silly publisher's silly prices then reading ebooks won't save you any money. If you shop wisely ebooks are vastly cheaper. And better. if you think paper books are better try holding your finger down on a word and see if it's definition pops up.

Of course you don't want to swat flies with your ereader.

Barry

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register