Mobileread
Apub signs Koontz
#1  fjtorres 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amazon-signs-book-deal-with-dean-koontz-with-free-collection-coming-in-november-2019-07-22

Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, -0.11% said Monday that it has signed a five-book deal with best-selling author Dean Koontz, with the first book, "Devoted," coming next spring. Before that, a collection of six short thrillers called "Nameless" will be available for free to Prime members and Kindle Unlimited users on November 12.
A bit more at the source.

#2  ZodWallop 07-25-2019, 11:01 AM
I saw that too. I'm not a Koontz fan personally, but good for Amazon.

#3  leebase 07-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Publishers have nothing to fear from Amazon. Amazon is just a store like any other book store.

#4  pwalker8 07-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Quote leebase
Publishers have nothing to fear from Amazon. Amazon is just a store like any other book store.
It all depends on what the contract actually says. Is Koontz going to be only available via Amazon? How much money is the contract for? Is Amazon trying to sign a bunch of big name authors or is Amazon just trying to let lesser known authors that Amazon isn't just an ebook/indie publisher?

Who knows, it might even open the door to possible anti-trust charges. The government is going after the big tech companies these days.

#5  jhowell 07-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Quote pwalker8
Who knows, it might even open the door to possible anti-trust charges. The government is going after the big tech companies these days.
I think that is a big stretch. Barnes and Noble also has exclusives. And producing content exclusively for a single distributor has been the model in television forever.

#6  pwalker8 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Quote jhowell
I think that is a big stretch. Barnes and Noble also has exclusives. And producing content exclusively for a single distributor has been the model in television forever.
Yes, but B&N wasn't a publisher. It all comes down to markets and market share. Amazon has to be very careful that they are not seen as trying to leverage their book and ebook market share into their publishing businesses. As one sees in the news forum, Amazon is currently in the cross hairs of the anti-trust division.

#7  ZodWallop 07-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Quote pwalker8
Yes, but B&N wasn't a publisher. It all comes down to markets and market share. Amazon has to be very careful that they are not seen as trying to leverage their book and ebook market share into their publishing businesses. As one sees in the news forum, Amazon is currently in the cross hairs of the anti-trust division.
Barnes and Noble is a publisher though. Most (all?) of the books in the B&N bargain section that are not remainders are published by them either under their own name or Sterling Publishing. I'm not sure if they sell their books at other retailers, as I just haven't bothered to look.

#8  leebase 07-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Quote pwalker8
It all depends on what the contract actually says. Is Koontz going to be only available via Amazon? How much money is the contract for? Is Amazon trying to sign a bunch of big name authors or is Amazon just trying to let lesser known authors that Amazon isn't just an ebook/indie publisher?

Amazon is competing directly against the publishers. The "most important, must be on it" book store...is leveraging it's position to compete with the publishers.

#9  leebase 07-26-2019, 11:00 AM
Quote pwalker8
Well...seeing as that's exactly what they are doing....it's hard to "not be seen" as doing so.

Some of us saw this from the very beginning of the $9.99 for every NYT's best seller days.

You sell below cost and damage all the other sellers.

Once you establish overwhelming dominance, you go after the producers.

Meanwhile "it doesn't matter, I want cheap cheap cheap" folks never ever think there's a problem.

#10  DiapDealer 07-26-2019, 11:21 AM
Gonna go out on a not-so-skinny limb here and say that if Koontz's apub-published books/ebooks aren't available everywhere books/ebooks are sold, it will because someone refuses to sell apub-published books/ebooks. Not because Koontz will have agreed to any kind of exclusive sales deal with Amazon.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register