Mobileread
Does anybody have experience with Vibosoft ePub Editor Master?
#1  Iskariot 07-24-2019, 08:34 AM
I was looking for something to replace Sigil now that they have abandoned 'book view'.

To me this Vibosoft program seems to offer all that Sigil is now lacking, and more, but I am not sure. I can not find reviews.

The program costs 60 dollars, but to me that is worth it if it is a reliable WYSIWYG epub editor.

If you do not know the program, but do have recommendations for other software, then please let me know.

#2  DiapDealer 07-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Looks like a direct ripoff of an older version of Sigil's codebase with no attribution whatsoever to me. They didn't even change the names of the widgets. Real nice.

And for the record ... if you like Sigil with Book View, why not simply continue to use the older versions of Sigil with Book View? The versions you like aren't going to suddenly quit working. No need to pay someone else for the same older software that we're giving away.

#3  Doitsu 07-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Quote Iskariot
I was looking for something to replace Sigil now that they have abandoned 'book view'.
You really might want to give the latest Sigil version another try, because the developers tried really hard to make the transition for Book View users as painless as possible. The Book View/Code View buttons are gone, but they've added a new PageEdit button to the toolbar.

image »

Also, if you press F2, Sigil will open the current HTML file in PageEdit, if you've configured PageEdit as your preferred HTML editor.
If you enable the Preview window, resize it and drag it next to the Code View window, Sigil behaves pretty much like older versions.

If you still want to spend money on a commercial epub editor, you might want to check out the trial versions of Atlantis Word Processor and Jutoh. Both are much cheaper than the Sigil ripoff that Vibosoft sells.

#4  Hitch 07-24-2019, 11:55 AM
Quote Doitsu
You really might want to give the latest Sigil version another try, because the developers tried really hard to make the transition for Book View users as painless as possible. The Book View/Code View buttons are gone, but they've added a new PageEdit button to the toolbar.

image »

Also, if you press F2, Sigil will open the current HTML file in PageEdit, if you've configured PageEdit as your preferred HTML editor.
If you enable the Preview window, resize it and drag it next to the Code View window, Sigil behaves pretty much like older versions.

If you still want to spend money on a commercial epub editor, you might want to check out the trial versions of Atlantis Word Processor and Jutoh. Both are much cheaper than the Sigil ripoff that Vibosoft sells.
If someone really HAS TO HAVE Bookview, then get Atlantis. It's the easiest transition from a word-processor, as it IS a word processor and then you can edit in "book view."

Isn't using Sigil in a commercial product against the T&C for it? Isn't that what was set from the jump? I realize that nobody is going to sue, all things considered, but it's a shame. Ridiculous that someone will PAY for an older version of FREE sigil, just because they're afraid of losing Bookview and their ability to screw up the HTML by typing therein.

Hitch

#5  Iskariot 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Quote Doitsu

image »

Some interesting tips. I will look into it.

Due to my personal constitution I am very fixed in my routines. I was/am very used to a certain workflow and I have trouble adapting to changes in general.

For me being able to quickly switch between html and book view is of great value and I have only minimal knowledge of html. Therefore a WYSIWYG approach is a must.

I will reinstall the new Sigil and give it another go with the help of the information you have given.

Thank you.

#6  Iskariot 07-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Quote DiapDealer
Looks like a direct ripoff of an older version of Sigil's codebase with no attribution whatsoever to me. They didn't even change the names of the widgets. Real nice.

And for the record ... if you like Sigil with Book View, why not simply continue to use the older versions of Sigil with Book View? The versions you like aren't going to suddenly quit working. No need to pay someone else for the same older software that we're giving away.
Did you know about this program?
When I looked into it, it did feel somewhat fishy to me. That is why I asked about it here. I am glad I did.

Currently I do indeed have an older version of Sigil reinstalled.

#7  Iskariot 07-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Quote Hitch
If someone really HAS TO HAVE Bookview, then get Atlantis. It's the easiest transition from a word-processor, as it IS a word processor and then you can edit in "book view."

Hitch
Can one use Atlantis to load existing epubs in it?

#8  DiapDealer 07-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Quote Iskariot
Did you know about this program?
When I looked into it, it did feel somewhat fishy to me. That is why I asked about it here. I am glad I did.
No. I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it, actually. But the screen shots of the program told me everything I need to know. The central tabbed widget. A dockwidget on the the left that contains a tree-view named "Book Browser," a widget on the right with a tree-view Table of Contents.

My guess is it's a snapshot of Sigil's code from around version 0.5.x or 0.6.x (maybe 0.7.x) and re-branded a bit.

The downloaded installer indicates it's published by a Chinese corporation, but that's all the further I was willing to investigate. If I get curious, I may install it on a virtual Windows machine that I can just reset from a snapshot if anything goes wonky.

#9  DiapDealer 07-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Quote Hitch
Isn't using Sigil in a commercial product against the T&C for it?
The GPLv3 doesn't prevent charging money for code derivative of other GPLv3 source-code, but it does mean that your modifications must also be GPLv3 and the source code made available.

https://tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-general-public-license-v3-(gpl-3)

#10  DNSB 07-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Quote Iskariot
Can one use Atlantis to load existing epubs in it?
Yes.

At least back when in the dim past of 2014, there was a freebie (no updates, no support) version of Atlantis. To me, using Atlantis is pretty much like using LibreOffice Writer, Apple Pages, Scrivener or Google Docs or any other word processor with a save as epub option or conversion (I've played with MS Word and Draft2Digital) outside the word processor.

Overall, I prefer Sigil since it lets me get down and dirty with the raw code (The power! The ability to turn your epub into cruft!). With the newest Sigil version, I have PageEdit installed but for the most part I use the Preview pane on a secondary monitor. Like too many people, I ran into issues when doing a quick edit in BookView did not produce the expected result (i.e. Gospel In, Garbage Out).

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register