Mobileread
New eTextbooks limited to newest version of Kindle for PC/Mac
#1  jhowell 06-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Some newer print replica eTextbooks sold on Amazon are available on Kindle for PC/Mac, but only when running the latest version (1.26). The examples I have seen so far are all expensive textbooks from Pearson Education, such as this one and this one.

The book descriptions have a note "This title is not supported on Kindle E-readers. On PC & Mac, the latest version of the Kindle app is required." There is also a popup that states: "This title is only compatible with Kindle for PC & Mac (versions 1.26 or later) and is not supported on Kindle for Windows 8 app. To read this title on Windows 7, 8, or 10, you can use the Kindle for PC app."

Similar, older titles from the same publisher are compatible with older versions of Kindle for PC/Mac. I speculate that the restriction of the newer books to the most recent Kindle for PC/Mac is due to these books being made available only in KFX format.

There is precedent for books being made available only in KFX. That is currently the case for books in Indian languages, Arabic, and Traditional Chinese. It appears that Amazon had to make these KFX-only because the KF8 renderer has issues with these languages.

There is no obvious enhanced capability apparent in these textbooks from their descriptions so I doubt that KF8 limitations is the reason there.

I speculate that this is being done specifically to thwart piracy. These are very expensive books that are sold in limited quantities. I suspect that it was the publisher's decision to opt for the new, stronger DRM of KFX, despite it resulting in limits placed on the book's availability.

This might be the start of a new trend. I will be on the lookout for more KFX-only books appearing on Amazon.

#2  Deskisamess 06-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Can you install two separate instances of the Kindle app on Windows?

#3  jhowell 06-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Quote Deskisamess
Can you install two separate instances of the Kindle app on Windows?
Yes, you can set up a second user account and install a different version for it.

#4  Apparition B5 06-14-2019, 11:04 AM
Quote jhowell
This might be the start of a new trend. I will be on the lookout for more KFX-only books appearing on Amazon.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is the start of a new trend, and if so it will be the start of another new trend of my purchasing eBooks elsewhere.

#5  tomsem 06-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Setting up a VM with a working Tools environment might be ideal.

#6  FrustratedReader 06-16-2019, 07:57 AM
"The book descriptions have a note "This title is not supported on Kindle E-readers."
I've encountered this with quite simple novels. It's not just print replica books.

It's a combination of Three stupidities:
1) Amazon providing tools / formats for the Fire (originally misleadingly Kindle Fire as it's a crippled Android LCD tablet), later supported by Mac / Windows.
2) Amazon selling "real ebooks" and also "digital magazines" both in Kindle Store. Greed.
3) Publishers stupidly using these instead of creating regular ebooks.

Now it could be that these text books need colour, or large images, or complex layout not possible in mobi or KF8 (any ordinary KF8 can be converted to mobi or ePub and still be readible). However I've examined some novels I bought using these enhanced "Will not work on ANY eInk ereader Kindle) and Calibre did convert to epub. The formatting was a disaster. Export as RTF worked, then I was able to reformat using LibreOffice Writer and make azw3 / mobi / epubs that worked.

I'm sure there are text books that need the enhanced formating that only works on Kindle Apps and Mac/Windows, but I'd be sure that's rare and the problem is failure of the publishers to understand the tools, workflow or even what is an ebook.

So these are not ebooks in any useful sense for real ereaders. Amazon has been REALLY stupid combining the two kinds of electronic media.
It's like PDFs are not at all ebooks. Stupidly Amazon even allows certain PDFs to be in the Kindle store. Google Books (because they like piracy, boosts ad revenue) even encourages PDF format upload, with epub as a secondary option.

#7  Deskisamess 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM
2) Amazon selling "real ebooks" and also "digital magazines" both in Kindle Store. Greed.
How dare they want to sell things.

#8  stumped 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM
"print replica" probably means pseudo pdf i.e. fixed layout. I have bought ( and returned as not fit for purpose) game strategy guides from amazon that are like that. None of the text reflowed on my fire tablet.
It's a very lazy way to re-publish a print book. - just bundle up some page images in DRM and ramp up the price.

#9  FrustratedReader 06-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Quote Deskisamess
How dare they want to sell things.
I've no problem with people selling things. The problem is greed resulting in MIS-SELLING / false marketing.

Things that are not reflowable true ebooks should not be in the Kindle store. DVDs are not.

#10  HarryT 06-17-2019, 03:14 AM
Quote stumped
"print replica" probably means pseudo pdf i.e. fixed layout. I have bought ( and returned as not fit for purpose) game strategy guides from amazon that are like that. None of the text reflowed on my fire tablet.
It's a very lazy way to re-publish a print book. - just bundle up some page images in DRM and ramp up the price.
Print Replica is not “pseudo PDF”. It is genuine PDF in an Amazon wrapper. You can extract the PDF from it using Calibre’s “KindleUnpack” plugin.

It’s not lazy at all, when used appropriately. There are some things that Kindle formatting just can’t do, such as poetry and plays. Eg, I (deliberately) bought the Print Replica edition of the “New Oxford Shakespeare”, because it has far better formatting (for Shakespeare, that is) than can be achieved using reflowable Kindle formats. I read it on my iPad.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register