Mobileread
Ereader that lets you read book synopsis/info (like a back cover)?
#1  allanahk 04-29-2019, 05:34 PM
I have an old kindle at the moment and it just shows a list of books I have and the only info I can see is Title, Author, rough length (via those dots) and percentage read. One thing I miss about physical books is picking one off the bookshelf and reading the back cover so I know what it's about and what genre. My solution at the moment is to add a 'book jacket' page using Calibre, but to view it requires opening the book file on my Kindle and then it says 1% read which I don't like (and also I lose my place going through my library). I also generate a catalog using Calibre that contains info on all my books but again it's not ideal.

Are there any ereaders that have a book synopsis/info feature when browsing through your library?

#2  ZodWallop 04-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Quote allanahk
Are there any ereaders that have a book synopsis/info feature when browsing through your library?
I believe all of them do now.

On my Kobo, the library shows the cover, title, author, series info, file format and size. Then there's three dots... Tapping those brings up a menu and one of the choices is 'View Details' Tapping that will give the synopsis/info.

My Nooks do something similar, I believe by long pressing on a book. I'm pretty sure the Kindles do the same.

#3  FizzyWater 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Quote ZodWallop
I believe all of them do now.

On my Kobo, the library shows the cover, title, author, series info, file format and size. Then there's three dots... Tapping those brings up a menu and one of the choices is 'View Details' Tapping that will give the synopsis/info.

My Nooks do something similar, I believe by long pressing on a book. I'm pretty sure the Kindles do the same.
Just to be clear, I think this only works (for any of the readers) if the book was purchased from the matching storefront. Sideloaded books won't do this.

#4  allanahk 04-29-2019, 09:21 PM
Quote FizzyWater
Just to be clear, I think this only works (for any of the readers) if the book was purchased from the matching storefront. Sideloaded books won't do this.
Damn, I got excited for a second! I only sideload my books as I like to add custom metadata etc. Oh well

#5  ZodWallop 04-29-2019, 09:21 PM
Quote FizzyWater
Not true. Every book on my Kobos and Nooks is sideloaded. It does work.

#6  DNSB 04-29-2019, 11:15 PM
Quote FizzyWater
It works for my sideloaded books on my Kobo ereaders.

#7  FizzyWater 04-29-2019, 11:22 PM
Oops, well, that's good then!

#8  ilovejedd 04-29-2019, 11:39 PM
Quote DNSB
It works for my sideloaded books on my Kobo ereaders.
Addendum to this.

You don't get this if you copy epubs with embedded metadata via file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer).

It only works if you use Calibre to send to device since the Calibre driver writes the metadata directly to the Kobo's database.

#9  davidfor 04-30-2019, 12:00 AM
Quote ilovejedd
Addendum to this.

You don't get this if you copy epubs with embedded metadata via file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer).

It only works if you use Calibre to send to device since the Calibre driver writes the metadata directly to the Kobo's database.
Yes it does. For sideloaded books, Kobo will read title, author, description, language, publisher and ISBN. If these are in the metadata of a sideloaded book, they will appear in the details page.

The KoboTouch driver can update all of these plus series, subtitle and published date. It does this because the firmware doesn't, plus, it updates the details if they have changed. Plus, it only updates the metadata for books already on the device and in the database.

#10  ilovejedd 04-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Quote davidfor
Yes it does. For sideloaded books, Kobo will read title, author, description, language, publisher and ISBN. If these are in the metadata of a sideloaded book, they will appear in the details page.

The KoboTouch driver can update all of these plus series, subtitle and published date. It does this because the firmware doesn't, plus, it updates the details if they have changed. Plus, it only updates the metadata for books already on the device and in the database.
I stand corrected. I must have conflated it with something else (probably tags).

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register