Mobileread
How large is your Calibre library?
#1  calibrejunkie 11-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Hello all,

Just curious, how many books do you guys have in your libraries?

Thanks

#2  theducks 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Quote calibrejunkie
Hello all,

Thanks
The first thing I did way back when... Was add 900+ 'Empty books" for my paper Library.
I set up a banquet table with my HP4C flat scanner for covers, a bar code scanner and laptop (remote desktop connected to the Calibre (desktop) PC

Next, I imported all (PRC/Mobi) titles from the Baen CD's (back when Jim made those available to anyone) and the Free Library titles (between those, I had almost a 25% overlap with the paperbacks)

So I started with a couple of thousand entries, and it has been downhill since. I used to buy abou 6 Baen Bundles a year, Amazon gets me now that I switched to a Kindle (I wore out 2 Astaks, and the K4 is getting tired buttons. I really don't do touch well.)
~14K entries (I did use epubsplit PI to bust up some Omnibus and anthologies)

#3  DNSB 11-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Quote calibrejunkie
Hello all,

Thanks
Currently about 9300 ebooks plus another ghod know how many fanfics. I started with some scanned/OCRs, then added in a mass of Baen's book both from the bound-in CDs and from the free library (prior to Baen allowing other companies to sell their ebooks). After that much like theducks, I never looked back.

I also have a separate calibre library for my 2000 or so hardcovers (scanned covers and manually added author/publisher information) but I've never had the enthusiasm to do the same for my paperbacks which go back to the old Ace doubles. That lack of enthusiasm is mainly due to a desire to avoid doing the same for my wife's Harlequin/etc. paperbacks.

#4  BetterRed 11-01-2018, 04:13 PM
My libraries are on a SATA3 Toshiba HDD, the program code and configuration are on a Sandisk NVMe PCIe SSD.

Biggest library is just shy of 131,000; they are public domain documents, not commercial books. I have a Test library which has fewer than a 100 books. There is no significant difference performance-wise between the two libraries.

BR

#5  sjfan 11-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Quote calibrejunkie
Hello all,

Thanks
7043 books currently.

#6  Merithyn 11-01-2018, 06:20 PM
1033 ebooks and 259 manga. Quite manageable at the moment. I'm a cover and metadata fanatic so all of them have all that filled in.

I had (still do) one mega collection of probably more than 50k books but it's kinda a mess with different formats/scans etc and I never imported them to Calibre, just the ones I read and I'm intending to read.

#7  ilovejedd 11-01-2018, 06:45 PM
A couple hundred "normal" books.

Fanfics (each in separate library)
My manga collection is quite sizeable but is organized through folder structure.

#8  calibrejunkie 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Quote theducks
The first thing I did way back when... Was add 900+ 'Empty books" for my paper Library.
I set up a banquet table with my HP4C flat scanner for covers, a bar code scanner and laptop (remote desktop connected to the Calibre (desktop) PC

Next, I imported all (PRC/Mobi) titles from the Baen CD's (back when Jim made those available to anyone) and the Free Library titles (between those, I had almost a 25% overlap with the paperbacks)

So I started with a couple of thousand entries, and it has been downhill since. I used to buy abou 6 Baen Bundles a year, Amazon gets me now that I switched to a Kindle (I wore out 2 Astaks, and the K4 is getting tired buttons. I really don't do touch well.)
I did not know about "Baen Bundles", I'll have to check that out. I assume you already know about Humble Bundle book bundles? I've added about 1500 books to my library that way.

#9  calibrejunkie 11-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Quote theducks

Using Calibre for tracking your paper library is a cool idea. Like a card catalog on steroids. I mostly read on Kindle, phone or tablet nowadays, so Calibre+Calibre Companion have been a great combo for me.

#10  calibrejunkie 11-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Quote BetterRed
My libraries are on a SATA3 Toshiba HDD, the program code and configuration are on a Sandisk NVMe PCIe SSD.

Biggest library is just shy of 131,000; they are public domain documents, not commercial books. I have a Test library which has fewer than a 100 books. There is no significant difference performance-wise between the two libraries.

BR
131,000 is pretty huge, lol. Do you have any good sources for downloading public domain books in bulk?

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register