Mobileread
Sansa Clip Comparison
#1  tubemonkey 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Sansa Clip -- not sure which one to get? Here's a breakdown of all seven generations. Pay particular attention to the features that are NOT supported.

Home | Forums | Store | Support --- Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Press | Wiki

SanDisk Clip Sport Go --> no mSD

SanDisk Clip Sport Plus --> no mSD

SanDisk Clip Jam

Discontinued Models

SanDisk History

#2  glos 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I have a couple of questions, maybe they're stupid but i'm really not an expert... sorry
mSDHC slot (up to 32GB) -> are we sure, has anyone tried a bigger one even if they say it isn't supported?
Can they play (and support all the special properties of) m4b files?
If I ever get a new mp3 player it would be a substitute for my 120gb ipod classic, so I need a ton of space.. for my audiobooks (actually, mostly podfics), and most of them are very big m4b files (chapter breaks, covers and chapter title display, also they remember where you were).
Those are my 2 priorities, would a sansa be a good choice?

#3  jwhayn 10-20-2014, 02:20 PM
I love my Sansa Clip Zip but dislike the Clip Sport because I cannot figure out how to lock it when playing, thus allowing it to respond to unintended button presses when exercising. If you know how to lock it when in use, let me know.

#4  silverraven 10-21-2014, 08:24 AM
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6
The anything but ipod forum isn't as lively as it used to be, but there is still a lot of information in past threads.
S

#5  tubemonkey 10-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Quote glos
I have a couple of questions, maybe they're stupid but i'm really not an expert... sorry
mSDHC slot (up to 32GB) -> are we sure, has anyone tried a bigger one even if they say it isn't supported?
Can they play (and support all the special properties of) m4b files?
If I ever get a new mp3 player it would be a substitute for my 120gb ipod classic, so I need a ton of space.. for my audiobooks (actually, mostly podfics), and most of them are very big m4b files (chapter breaks, covers and chapter title display, also they remember where you were).
Those are my 2 priorities, would a sansa be a good choice?
Larger cards (64GB) have been used in the Clips, but they need to be converted from exFat to FAT32. I've never done it, so I don't know the steps involved. I'm sure you can get a step-by-step how-to on Google and/or YouTube.

The Clips do not support M4B, so you'd either have to convert all of the files to a format they do support (see OP) or get a different player instead. iPods don't have card slots and a 64GB iPod touch is rather expensive. Other dedicated music players do exist, but some of them are even more expensive than the iPods.

Your best low-cost option is to get an Android device (unlocked phone or tablet) that has a card slot and use an audiobook app that supports M4B, such as Akimbo.

Bottom line -- either convert your files or seek a different alternative.

#6  tubemonkey 10-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Quote jwhayn
I love my Sansa Clip Zip but dislike the Clip Sport because I cannot figure out how to lock it when playing, thus allowing it to respond to unintended button presses when exercising. If you know how to lock it when in use, let me know.
The last time I checked over at the Sansa Forums, the answer was no lock. You may wish to visit them to see if anything has changed recently.

Like silverraven mentioned, anythingbutipod (abi) is another source, but it doesn't have anywhere near the activity that Sansa has. So check out Sansa first.

#7  glos 10-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks!!

You best low cost option is get an Android device (unlocked phone or tablet) that has a card slot and use an audiobook app that supports M4B, such as Akimbo.
oh this is not bad, i'm concerned about battery life but I can plug it in every night i suppose...

#8  tubemonkey 10-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Quote glos
Thanks!!

oh this is not bad, i'm concerned about battery life but I can plug it in every night i suppose...
You're welcome

Do you have an android tablet or phone, or access to one? I'd try it out first to see how well it works before spending the money. Of course, with these devices, battery life will be poor. Tablets are much cheaper than phones, but they are also much larger and don't travel as well.

#9  Dhevi 10-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Quote tubemonkey
The last time I checked over at the Sansa Forums, the answer was no lock. You may wish to visit them to see if anything has changed recently.
I've actually verified with my son's SanDisk Sport Clip that the lock feature is available. Pressing the Back button for 2 seconds will lock the device. Pressing for another 2 seconds will unlock.

There was a firmware [fix] released 06/03/14 to address this issue.

#10  tubemonkey 10-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Quote Dhevi
I've actually verified with my son's SanDisk Sport Clip that the lock feature is available. Pressing the Back button for 2 seconds will lock the device. Pressing for another 2 seconds will unlock.

There was a firmware [fix] released 06/03/14 to address this issue.
Thanks for posting that update. I'm glad they resolved this issue.

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register