Mobileread
Harry Potter - Order of the Phoenix
#1  Alexander Turcic 06-22-2003, 07:07 AM
So did anyone already read book V? How does it compare to I-IV?

Please use **spoiler** in the beginning of your post if appropriate

Alex

#2  Supergirl 06-23-2003, 06:00 PM
I behave - no spoilers here

From Amazon I read that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is over 255,000 words compared with over 191,000 words in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. And the new book is 38 chapters long, one more than Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. So already in numbers, you get more for the buck.

I got my book the day it came out and finished it within hours...I couldn't put it down. It was a great read, despite its darker tones. Warning: there is a significant death in the book and it actually made me cry!! This was a fantastic book!

#3  cbarnett 06-23-2003, 08:11 PM
You read the whole 760 odd pages in hours?!? Yeesh!

#4  sUnShInE 06-24-2003, 10:01 AM
I think it's actually 870 pages.

I'm in the middle of it, and I will also give no spoilers.

The characters are definitely more developed. Especially Harry, who has hit adolescence full on. It's funny, so far I've noticed that she's used a few words that will send the under-20 crowd to the dictionary (hopefully).

Otherwise, plot structure, themes, etc seem to be what you get/would expect in I-IV. As Supergirl mentions -- it's long. Really long.

#5  Unregistered 06-26-2003, 03:18 AM
** spoiler ** mwahahaha....

umm... i have read the whole book and personally, i am sad, shocked and angry with the ending of the book! The person who dies ( i won't say any names though) is my favorite character and what bothers me about it is the way he died, the fact that he died, and who killed him!!!!! I mean (since this is a spoiler, areally big one, so people who like being suprised, Don't Read This Message!!!), Sirius didn't even deserve to die, he had just finished laughing!!!! And his own cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, just killing him there!!! Just right when he was smiling!!! Anyone else that has fully read the book and feels the same as me, PLEASE SPEAK UP!!!!!
Thanks for yur time....

#6  Unregistered 06-26-2003, 01:25 PM
I read the book every spare moment I could get and finished it Sunday night. It is by far my favorite of the books. Its a lot darker than the previous ones. As said in another post, Harry is full of teen angst. The book has its hilarious parts and its sad parts. I cried several times. The book kept my attention more than any of the other books. I was hooked by the end of the 1st chapter and that usually doesn't happen till several chapters on, usually when the get to Hogwarts. I encourage all of you to read it soon. And for those known to cry easily, grab a box of tissues.

#7  Unregistered 06-26-2003, 06:04 PM
** spoiler **

Yeah... especially if you are reading the end of chapter 35 and you really liked Sirius Black.....*sniffles*

#8  Unregistered 06-26-2003, 08:01 PM
** spoiler **

I've finished the book also...I think it's the best one yet! Harry faces alot more of emotion in this book...he's growing up and he has to face more responsibility. I was very sad when *HE* died! He was my favorite character too . I wonder what Harry will do now, without him? I can't wait until the 6th and 7th books...I just hope they don't take as long to come out as this one did.
Once again, a GREAT book.
XOXO~ Brittany

#9  Lyra 06-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Loved it! It truly refects Harry's teen angst; wanting to be the hero and yet, wanting to be normal. I laughed, I cried, I raved.

The meeting with Dumbledore was very reavealing as well. I loved the single tear!! Dear friends will be truly missed.

#10  RockerChick 06-30-2003, 11:55 AM
I really enjoyed this book too!! It's a keeper!

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register