Mobileread
Anyone using Unlimited (Throttled) Scribd?
#21  icedtea 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM
Update, I managed to finish another 3 ebooks, so my total was 8 items completed on the trial, but only 1 of those was an audiobook -- I'm not much of an audio listener.

So I got quite a bit out of my month's use, but for those of you only wanting audio, agreed, it's probably not worth it.

#22  Paperbackstash 05-12-2020, 12:06 AM
I ran into too many issues listening to audio offline - not sure if it was the phone, or just the app - but I haven't run into issues when listening to it streaming.

#23  infectious 06-25-2020, 11:11 AM
I've only seen Scribd offering "free e-books! Just log in!" and steered clear away. Too much weird stuff going on w/ the internet. Though I just now taken a peek and they've done quite a bit of revamping!

When I read Audible's terms - 3 books a month? That's it? And 2 of them HAVE to be 'an audible original'?! Um no. The modern pricing model for anything is subscription-based now and my pockets have holes in them or something.

I've been finding more and more audiobook oferings on my various local county library websites. Ebooks too, but not a massive selection.

I also buy a kindle book on sale for $.99 (out of sight out of mind for this reader!) and for $7.49 upgrade to get the Audible. Or find a prior e-book I purchased had that same offer to upgrade - and audio is the only I can get through books at the moment. It works.

Now I'm in the confusion of how to get the audios *out* of audible. I bought them after all! That's what I'm looking up now. Or trying to.

#24  Paperbackstash 06-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Quote infectious
I've only seen Scribd offering "free e-books! Just log in!" and steered clear away. Too much weird stuff going on w/ the internet. Though I just now taken a peek and they've done quite a bit of revamping!

When I read Audible's terms - 3 books a month? That's it? And 2 of them HAVE to be 'an audible original'?! Um no. The modern pricing model for anything is subscription-based now and my pockets have holes in them or something.

I've been finding more and more audiobook oferings on my various local county library websites. Ebooks too, but not a massive selection.

I also buy a kindle book on sale for $.99 (out of sight out of mind for this reader!) and for $7.49 upgrade to get the Audible. Or find a prior e-book I purchased had that same offer to upgrade - and audio is the only I can get through books at the moment. It works.

Now I'm in the confusion of how to get the audios *out* of audible. I bought them after all! That's what I'm looking up now. Or trying to.
I am not longer a subscribing member to Audible but can listen to the books I previously purchased or grabbed fine through my account. The account still exists with available books. I've read a bit on getting them out of the account somehow but that seems complicated. There's a lot of protection on them. I do need to figure out how to back these up just in case.

I am still a member of Scribd and still loving the service. I never ran into some of the issues others have other than my phone being glitchy with offline files, but nothing is perfect and that was not a deal breaker for me.

#25  Lparsons21 06-29-2020, 11:47 AM
I’ve been using Scribd for a couple years now and find it to be a good service. That said I don’t do audible books all that much so haven’t had the issues some seem to be having.

#26  Deskisamess 06-29-2020, 11:57 AM
I remember trying Scribd back when it first came out and was truly unlimited. Not being able to read on my e-ink Kindles was a drawback, but I kept using it for a few months. I eventually stopped subscribing, and remember the hubbub when they began restricting titles.

Wasn't it the authors who were unhappy with the subscription model and pushed for the changes?

Not being able to read on e-ink devices was the reason I never cared to get back into the program.

#27  Lparsons21 06-29-2020, 12:12 PM
You can read on at least some e-ink devices. The app works fairly well on the Likebook Mars and Onyx Nova Pro.

#28  Paperbackstash 06-29-2020, 02:14 PM
I don't rent many e-books from them since I have hundreds unread through purchasing and Kindle Unlimited. I mainly got them for Audiobooks. However, I have borrowed one or two and use my Kindle Fire for it. It does bum me that it does not work on e-ink, but that gives me another excuse to justify a Kindle Fire purchase -- this was before I got addicted to games on the tablet

As for the authors pushing for the change, not sure. I subscribed after all that. I don't mind some restrictions, honestly, due to the market. To me getting 2-4 audiobooks out of it for under 10 a month is an excellent deal. I don't listen to more than that regardless.

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register