Mobileread
Anyone using Unlimited (Throttled) Scribd?
#11  Synamon 11-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Quote Paperbackstash
I am using it now since Audible was too pricey for me and I felt too hesitant to spend the one credit a month since it was my only one - the sales were fun, though!
I loved all the sales, but it’s been so many years that I rarely find anything new to buy in the sales now.

Quote Paperbackstash
For Scribd this month I listened to two Perry Masons, Silence of the Lambs (a little over halfway), the beginning of Two Can Keep a Secret (ended up reading that one instead because I couldn't get into the narration) and The Chestnut Man. So I've finished 3 1/2 audio books, started another. Three old, two newer and more popular. Haven't rented an e-book yet, waiting for my new Fire to get here, which should be today.
That sounds promising. Thanks for the details.

#12  Synamon 11-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Quote Paperbackstash
I do have a big saved list because I like to browse and save stuff later when I'm bored and watching shows on the computer. I do that with various services, make lists that don't require much concentration. Have no idea if that has to do with anything.

I’ve added quite a few more audiobooks to my saved list today. I really like browsing the site and seeing recommended books or similar ones popping up as I save books.

Discovering books via the app/site has been a nice surprise I wasn’t expecting. I added some of the titles I found to my library holds, so I won’t even need to listen to them on Scribd when throttling happens.

I especially appreciated the editor/author curated lists, but have noticed that when there are supposed to be 3 or 5 books in those lists I can’t see all the books, 1 or 2 are missing.

#13  tubemonkey 11-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Quote booklover6
Last time I used it was June 2019. I listened to two, went to get another, and couldn't. I immediately cancelled the subscription.
You had the audacity to try and listen to a third book? What are you, some kind of a book hog?

#14  Paperbackstash 12-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Still no problems. I'm not sure if I've just gotten lucky or too low a volume user. In November I listened to The Poet by Michael Connelly (full), The Case of the Howling Dog by Erle Stanley Gardner (Full), The Case of the Lucky Legs by Earle Stanley Gardner (1/2), The Chestnut Man (Full), Silence of the Lambs (Full), and now have been listening to Duma Key by Stephen King the past few days. Have borrowed one E-book.

#15  Synamon 12-09-2019, 12:14 PM
My husband listened to the first two His Dark Materials books and then the third one showed as unavailable until next month. He's listening to the the third now with a free kobo audiobook black Friday membership I signed up for, so he'd quit whining. I listened to the latest Grisham and am currently listening to Reamde.

I put about 50 audiobooks into my saved lists and 40 of these are not available until next month, leaving 10 (mostly older Stephen King books) available for the rest of this month to choose from. I expect that list could shrink further if we actually listen to another title. I don't mind waiting a month since that's shorter than the library holds for anything new, but it is frustrating not knowing which books will be available when you want them.

The app is excellent for browsing, but sucks for actually listening. Occasionally it forgets where I was and starts at the beginning. Sometimes it tries to stream rather than use the downloaded audiobook and it often stutters when using bluetooth in the car or with headphones. Restarting the app and/or putting my phone on airplane mode and force it to use the download seems to work, which is not ideal. When you browse sometimes you accidentally start playing a book and then you have to go hunt for the one you were already listening to in your saved list.

Because of the problems with the app I doubt I'll continue with the membership, although getting 4 or 5 audiobooks per month to listen to for $9 is good, especially when some are newly released audiobooks. Since I have access to the library again and am willing to wait for holds, Scribd isn't worth the hassle. My husband hates having to keep track of and use multiple apps to listen with and I can load the library mp3s onto his phone where he can listen to them with the Audible app.

#16  Synamon 12-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Ugh. My husband started listening to another audiobook and the download of the one I was listening to was deleted from my phone and shows as unavailable until the next month’s billing date. After searching and fiddling it allowed me to keep listening for a bit longer (80 minutes it appears) as a “preview”. But that’s not long enough for me to finish the book since I’ve listened to 3 hours of the 18 hour audiobook.

I understand that they don’t want people listening to a lot of books, but removing a downloaded one instead of just blocking access to additional audiobooks is infuriating and makes little sense. My available ‘saved’ list has still has 5 audiobooks.

I just checked my phone data usage for the month and it appears that the app must be streaming using cellular data quite a bit instead of using the audiobook file downloaded to my phone. I found a way in settings to turn off cellular at least, but there was no reason for it to ever use it in the first place.

Two more strikes. I definitely will not be renewing the subscription.

#17  tubemonkey 12-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Just a reminder, but Downpour has audiobooks for rent and is currently running a sale for up to 75% off the rental rates. During the sale, many books are priced at $1.74 each.

Granted, their catalog is small (~18,000 titles) but if you find something you want to read and don't care if you own it, then you can save quite a bit.

See this post for further details about the program.

#18  icedtea 04-02-2020, 09:59 PM
I'm using the no credit card free trial.

So far, I've completed 1 audiobook and then 4 ebooks, all titles that aren't available at my library or local Overdrive. I have about 2 weeks left, so we'll see if I hit the limits before that.

I downloaded everything for offline use (but only 1 or 2 at a time as I finished, not all at once), and had no issues on a phone in airplane mode with no sim card. The app remembered my position in between sessions when I closed the app; no bookmarking required.

One annoying thing, is that even though I didn't use their app or website 'save' function to bookmark potential reads (I was actually just bookmarking in my browser), even just searching for authors/titles seemed to make the algorithm hit the 'unavailable' on one particular author/title when I went back to view it a second time.

This was with only the audiobook downloaded, too. I think I looked up about 10 titles when it happened.

#19  Paperbackstash 04-05-2020, 11:00 PM
Quote Synamon

I understand that they don’t want people listening to a lot of books, but removing a downloaded one instead of just blocking access to additional audiobooks is infuriating and makes little sense. My available ‘saved’ list has still has 5 audiobooks.

I agree, that part is unacceptable. I haven't run into it myself but that would be enough for me to leave if it kept happening. If they need to, they could restrict how many could be downloaded and 'active', but it's not okay to remove downloads, especially if you are currently listening to it.

Too controlling

That hasnt happened to me and I'm still a happy member but I am using the downloaded files less since I found them glitchy.

#20  Synamon 04-18-2020, 03:18 PM
I used the recent one month free offer (no credit card required) to finish listening to the downloaded audiobook that was removed during my earlier trial, but I won't be using the service past that.

I did like the concept, but the glitches and lack of transparency with the restrictions made it more trouble than it was worth.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register