Mobileread
Series management for Audiobooks
#21  pwalker8 09-26-2019, 06:43 AM
OpenAudible basically pulls your library from audible with all the meta data. You can set it up to download the actual audible files or not. You can also set it up to automatically convert files or not. You can add other files, not just aax. For example, one of the few audiobooks that I didn't get from audible is the Harry Potter series. It pulled those books in just fine. The meta data is a whole lot cleaner and you can export the list with meta data into a csv file. I find that useful.

Yes, the audiobook plug in for calibre is a bit wonky. Some books are fine, some have the meta data off. I have a bit over 700 audiobooks. Yep, it took a while to fix the meta data correctly, but basically, I did 20 or 30 at a time and eventually got them all correct. The biggest issue was putting in the narrator in.

The nice thing about calibre is that once I get everything loaded, I could simply copy the db file around. Calibre doesn't actually need the audiobook files after that.

#22  ACGAuthor 09-27-2019, 06:51 PM
OpenAudible only seems to allow you to import AAX or MP3. It won't import my MP4 files. Unfortunate.

I'm so frustrated with my inability to code right now. In the past, I've been able to monkey-see/monkey-do some very simple HTML and XML coding, looking at other people's work and picking up on what they were doing and tweaking it to my own needs.

But Java is beyond my experience. I was able to download the open Audible project source code, install the tools to access and edit it (Java RDK and Eclipse) and open the project files. But from there...nothing. It could be written in Cyrillic for all the sense it makes to me.

Meh. I wish I'd taken more programming classes when I was younger.

#23  FrozenTrout 10-24-2019, 04:32 PM
So, I don't know if this will help. But there's software called Plex, that you run the server on your computer, and then can stream all your media to all of your devices (and even share with friends). It also allows you to build playlists: https://www.plex.tv

It doesn't have built-in support for audiobooks specifically, but you can add it as a music library, and use a podcast metadata agent (or just have it use from the files themselves).
You can use the Plex app on your phone to access them, but there's actually a third party iOS app specifically for podcasts called Prologue (and he also makes a music-specific Plex app called Prism): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/prologue/id1459223267

The Plex server software is free, though you can optionally subscribe to PlexPass for additional features (off the top of my head, I don't think any are necessary if you're doing audiobooks), and the official Plex client apps have a $5 IAP (though you can also just use a web browser for free).

The Prologue app is free to use and test out, but costs $5 to unlock all the features.

Now, you still need to manage the files and metadata somehow; probably best to use iTunes/Books to organize primarily, and then do fiddly changes in Plex (Plex doesn't alter the original files or their metadata directly, only in its own database), as well as playlists.

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register