Mobileread
Playaway Digital Audio Book - what is it? Other comments ...
#1  Lynx-lynx 09-01-2014, 07:08 AM
My Library has got the 2005, 2008, version of The End of the Affair (Graham Greene) narrated by Michael Kitchen, and the format is 'sound media player'. Which is described as a 'Playaway digital audio book'. What is that?

Here's the link to what is possibly a photo of a Playaway device.

Edit
Anyone used this device before? It appears that the audio file is preloaded, and I guess therefore inaccessible.

#2  tubemonkey 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Quote Lynx-lynx
My Library has got the 2005, 2008, version of The End of the Affair (Graham Greene) narrated by Michael Kitchen, and the format is 'sound media player'. Which is described as a 'Playaway digital audio book'. What is that?

Here's the link to what is possibly a photo of a Playaway device.

Edit
Anyone used this device before? It appears that the audio file is preloaded, and I guess therefore inaccessible.
Some of my libraries have/had them, but I've never used them. It's an older technology being phased out now that digital downloads are here. Essentially, it's an MP3 player loaded with one or more audiobooks. You physically check them out from the library like you would a paper book. The library supplies the battery and you supply the headphones.

#3  Piepan 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Yes, I've seen them at our library. (There is a clearer image of what it looks like on wikipedia BTW). On the shelf they come in a book-ly looking case so AudioBook really fits it visually, in its box. Plug in headphones to your "book" and play-away. Ha ha. Quite clever for libraries. And yes. No access to the file. No discs either. Quite clever for the publisher too.

#4  tubemonkey 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM
It's a nice technology for the visually impaired and tech challenged individuals. Pricing is similar to audio CDs, so it's more expensive than downloadable MP3s.

#5  SleepyBob 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I've used a few, and it seems that the batteries generally die before I can finish the book, but maybe I just have bad timing.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register