Mobileread
Nook 7" Space Issue
#1  JeffGeorge 06-19-2018, 11:16 AM
My Nook 7" has reached the point where it can't even download a system update. It's bad enough that the Android OS takes up 4.7 GB of space, but the internal storage has used 2.97 of 3.3 GB. I have an almost empty 14 GB SD card in the device, but the problem is that nothing in those 2.97 GB of internal storage can be moved as it's all Android or Nook related. How am I supposed to get this system update?

#2  tas03 06-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Have the same issue. Even after removing every single non-Nook app that I could, there is still not enough room for it to download a system update. It will not let me remove Android apps whether I use them or not.

#3  JeffGeorge 06-19-2018, 01:10 PM
I don't even know where else to reach out for help on this. I tried calling their tech support once and it was one of the most worthless experiences of my life.

#4  tas03 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Again, same here. They kept telling me my Nook reader couldn't do things that the manual and their own site said it could. I knew the tablet didn't have much memory, but I thought it had enough to run itself, plus, I did not know that some apps would not stay on the SD card.

#5  rcentros 06-19-2018, 04:36 PM
I haven't done much with Android for awhile, but does disabling apps give you any more memory? I'm trying to find out if this tablet can be rooted, but it doesn't appear that it can be (at least not where I've looked).

#6  JeffGeorge 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Quote rcentros
I haven't done much with Android for awhile, but does disabling apps give you any more memory? I'm trying to find out if this tablet can be rooted, but it doesn't appear that it can be (at least not where I've looked).
The apps I've been looking through on the internal storage are things likeAndroid System WebView, Google, Good Play services, Chrome, etc. Will disabling them have any negative effects on the Android system?

#7  JeffGeorge 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM
In addition, there are a lot of things with small usage of space that by themselves take up next to nothing, but there are just too many of them.

#8  rcentros 06-19-2018, 06:24 PM
Quote JeffGeorge
The apps I've been looking through on the internal storage are things likeAndroid System WebView, Google, Good Play services, Chrome, etc. Will disabling them have any negative effects on the Android system?
I don't know for sure, but I think some of these applications in Android can have the updates removed – and some of them use quite a bit of memory (like Google Maps and maybe Chrome). I think the original apps stay and the updates just take up added space. Once the update is completed, you should be able to re-update the apps to the current releases. I think disabling apps also helps.

That said, this is a really stupid design flaw. Barnes & Noble is going to have to figure out how to work around it – probably by breaking the upgrade up into two parts.

#9  JeffGeorge 06-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Or let you move them to the SD card.

#10  Musicman 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM
Did you try using Adoptable Storage by formatting the SD Card as internal Storage?

https://9to5google.com/2016/11/29/how-to-set-up-nook-tablet-adoptable-storage/

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register