Mobileread
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
#5311  pdurrant 07-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Quote issybird
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I started off the year doing quite well. Through March, I didn’t buy many books and I was getting them read. Then the deluge. It’s tempting to blame the coronavirus; in fact, I think I will. The twin errors of too many books bought and at a time I was reading a lot of mindless junk. The latter’s the blame-it-on-Covid part.

But finally, this month, I had pulled myself together and hit the midway mark, patting myself on the back for no books bought and making some headway into the newly acquired TBR.

Yet now, keeping to my motif, Amazon has made me an offer I can’t refuse. One of those, “Here’s $5 to spend on your wishlist book” deals. I’m never going to get this PRH book more cheaply and I will read it in the very near future, so I’d be crazy not to take them up on it. But oh, I miss my late abstemiousness.
I think you're quite right to take them up on the free money offer.

#5312  issybird 07-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Quote pdurrant
I think you're quite right to take them up on the free money offer.
Thanks. Yeah. It would have been nuts not to. Well, like the sign in the hospital about how many days since a fall, tomorrow I can start over with one day without a purchase.

#5313  DNSB 07-17-2020, 03:21 PM
Quote issybird
Thanks. Yeah. It would have been nuts not to. Well, like the sign in the hospital about how many days since a fall, tomorrow I can start over with one day without a purchase.
Couldn't resist...
velociraptor_incidents.png 

#5314  issybird 07-17-2020, 03:30 PM
Quote DNSB
Couldn't resist...
You don’t think that’s tempting fate?

#5315  j.p.s 07-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Quote DNSB
Couldn't resist...
I am skeptical that any workplace has persisted for 7 million years and that there have been any velociraptor incidents anywhere in less than 2 billion days.

#5316  pdurrant 07-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Quote j.p.s
I am skeptical that any workplace has persisted for 7 million years and that there have been any velociraptor incidents anywhere in less than 2 billion days.
You'd better check the sign again. It's showing just under 26 billion days or just under 71 million years.

#5317  j.p.s 07-17-2020, 08:16 PM
Quote pdurrant
You'd better check the sign again. It's showing just under 26 billion days or just under 71 million years.
My mistake. I failed to enter the second of the repeated 5's near the end of the number, so I withdraw the velociraptor objection. But I am even more skeptical that any workplace has endured 71 million years.

#5318  DNSB 07-17-2020, 11:32 PM
Quote j.p.s
My mistake. I failed to enter the second of the repeated 5's near the end of the number, so I withdraw the velociraptor objection. But I am even more skeptical that any workplace has endured 71 million years.
Have you considered testing for Nichtlachen-Keinwortz Syndrome?

#5319  HLS 07-31-2020, 04:23 PM
I do buy a lot of books but it is very noticeably less that my old habats. I even deleted around 100 of my freebees I know I will never read

#5320  Rev. Bob 08-01-2020, 04:39 AM
I just spent Actual Money – as opposed to gift card credit – on a book for the first time in at least a year, and even then my existing credit covered most of the cost.

The damage was 79¢ for Seanan McGuire’s In an Absent Dream, reduced from $9.99 to $2.99… presumably thanks to its status as a Hugo finalist. (It didn’t win.)

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (532/537)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register