Mobileread
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
#5291  pdurrant 06-08-2020, 02:34 AM
Quote DNSB
So far in 2020, I've added ~200 ebooks to my collection including 19 for the first week of June. Some of those have been Baen bundle and Grantville Gazette purchases while others have been filling out my F&SF collection. Sadly, only 8 books in my calibre library don't have a Finished tag.
If your TBR is at 8, you clearly do not have a problem with buying too many ebooks.

#5292  DrNefario 06-11-2020, 09:36 AM
They got me with their stupid offer. Or, I should say, I allowed myself to be got by their stupid offer. I bought four books for just under £10, which with yesterday's Daily Deal purchase was enough to qualify for the £3 credit, putting me substantially behind my target for the first time all year. And I still need to spend the credit in the next month. I did stick to long-term wishlist books that didn't look like they were ever going to get a sale, but I think I'm going to have to raise my game.

#5293  issybird 06-11-2020, 10:29 AM
Quote DrNefario
I did stick to long-term wishlist books that didn't look like they were ever going to get a sale, but I think I'm going to have to raise my game.
Yep. I’ve used the same rationale on a few promotions lately and as a result I’m going to be playing catchup for a while. I still have to use the $5 credit in my case, but I have to go cold turkey after that: no purchases unless for immediate consumption and an exploding deal.

#5294  pdurrant 06-11-2020, 10:35 AM
I have chosen not to go for the Amazon deal. I just don't want to spend £10 on books this month unless they're on a really good offer. And £13 of books for £10 just isn't good enough for me.

(I did just buy one in a series I'm collecting, for £0.99 instead of around £4.00. Now that's the kind of discount I'm willing to take!)

#5295  DrNefario 06-12-2020, 07:25 AM
I am a tiny bit confused now, though. It looks like the last of the four books I bought yesterday was actually free - the credit was earned by the second-to-last book and applied on the last - but by that time I had only spent £9.96, by my reckoning. Weird.

#5296  DrNefario 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM
I have now bought 3 books at £0.99 each with my £3 credit. Will I be able to let the last 0.03 expire? I suspect not.

#5297  Tarana 07-01-2020, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry to say that I'm still buying more books in a month than I read. Not so bad in June, but for the first half of the year, I've been pretty pathetic. Even being very specific about authors I already know or series continued, I've acquired 200 ebooks/audiobooks since the beginning of the year. I've read 77 books, so you can see how this is going, darn it! Anyway, I can only do better in July. One advantage is that, due to the heat, I'll be inside A LOT which makes it easier to listen and read. Mom and I are still downsizing so that takes up hours every day. Even found ANOTHER two boxes of my late sister's books (that makes 61 now). My sister's bf will pass those on to various Little Libraries to interest folks in science fiction.

#5298  PurpleStar 07-01-2020, 11:28 PM
I have done it again as well. No more! Even if they’re 99 cents. Just say NO! I have hundreds of e-books already.

#5299  haydnfan 07-02-2020, 07:05 AM
Hey you never know when that bargain turns out to be worthwhile. I finally read a couple of ebooks that had been on my tbr for 5-6 years that I didn't think I would ever get to. And that means that I've read everything I purchased from Kobo in that year. I found a picture I took when I bought a bookshelf several years ago and I was pleased to see that even though it seems like I have a problem with buying more than I read I had read all but two books in that photo. And that included the entire Malazan Book of the Fallen series. And I'm not flexing. I'm sure that you all read more than I do. I get very busy except during the summer.

I think that if any of you looked over your purchase history you would probably see that you don't have as much of a problem as you think you do.

#5300  issybird 07-02-2020, 07:34 AM
Quote haydnfan

I think that if any of you looked over your purchase history you would probably see that you don't have as much of a problem as you think you do.
Nope. That’s a totally unwarranted assumption.

Hundreds of books on one’s TBR essentially means that some of them aren’t all that appealing, and certainly not as appealing as the current lust object. That you read them eventually because they’re there isn’t much of a recommendation. They’ve been considered and rejected for years. Better to aim for reading what you most want to read next, always.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (530/537)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register