Mobileread
Cover feedback?
#1  Gregg Bell 01-27-2020, 09:21 PM
It's for the fourth book in a zany, humorous thriller about Navy SEALs that takes place in Brooklyn. Nah, in the Everglades. Thanks.

image »

#2  gmw 01-27-2020, 11:46 PM
Maybe just a bit busy compared to the other covers ... oh, I see what it is: the other covers in the series have a tag-line, and this doesn't.

I know, there's a saying somewhere about getting pedantic about consistency, but still I think the other covers show better balance than this one ... although if we just compare to book three it's close. (Meaning that book three isn't quite a match to 1 and 2 either.)

#3  meeera 01-28-2020, 12:20 AM
What are the lines/hyphens either side of the "A" doing? Is it some sort of emphasis? I don't know whether it's intended to be telling me about a navy in the Everglades, or some navy called the "A Navy" (as opposed to, say, the B Navy) in the Everglades.

If it's just "a navy", I'd put the A and the NAVY on the same line.

#4  pdurrant 01-28-2020, 04:47 AM
QUOTE=meeera;3946482]What are the lines/hyphens either side of the "A" doing? Is it some sort of emphasis? I don't know whether it's intended to be telling me about a navy in the Everglades, or some navy called the "A Navy" (as opposed to, say, the B Navy) in the Everglades.

If it's just "a navy", I'd put the A and the NAVY on the same line.[/QUOTE]

It's part of the series title style, and a play on "oops-a-daisy" from the first title, "Oops-A-Navy"

show attachment »show attachment »show attachment »

#5  pdurrant 01-28-2020, 04:48 AM
If you have a tag line, perhaps lose the lower two alligators and put it in there.

#6  VydorScope 01-28-2020, 07:06 AM
So a book 4 cover does not sell books. If you do not have them hooked into your series by book 4 you will not get them.

What is important for a book 4 cover is that it fits the established pattern of the series so that someone can tell at first glance that this book in the next book in that series they love.

As such this does well, but it should, IMO, have a tag line added to match the first three. Maybe remove one of the gaters from the lower right to make room for it? Your most excited readers will be looking for it.

#7  Gregg Bell 01-31-2020, 01:23 PM
Quote gmw
Maybe just a bit busy compared to the other covers ... oh, I see what it is: the other covers in the series have a tag-line, and this doesn't.

I know, there's a saying somewhere about getting pedantic about consistency, but still I think the other covers show better balance than this one ... although if we just compare to book three it's close. (Meaning that book three isn't quite a match to 1 and 2 either.)
Thanks gmw. Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I'm going to get a tag line in there and work on the balance.

#8  Gregg Bell 01-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Quote meeera
What are the lines/hyphens either side of the "A" doing? Is it some sort of emphasis? I don't know whether it's intended to be telling me about a navy in the Everglades, or some navy called the "A Navy" (as opposed to, say, the B Navy) in the Everglades.

Thanks meeera. I should've posted the other covers too. They all have the -A-Navy.
OopsANavy200X300.jpg DupesANavyFinal200X300.jpg YipeeKiYayANavy200X300.jpg 

#9  Gregg Bell 01-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Quote pdurrant
Quote meeera

It's part of the series title style, and a play on "oops-a-daisy" from the first title, "Oops-A-Navy"

show attachment »show attachment »show attachment »
Thanks Paul. Thanks for posting that. (I didn't see your post before I replied to meeera.)

#10  Gregg Bell 01-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Quote pdurrant
If you have a tag line, perhaps lose the lower two alligators and put it in there.
Thanks, yeah, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. (As soon as I think of a tagline. lol)

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register