Mobileread
Redshirts, John Scalzi
#1  hobnail 03-22-2020, 09:46 PM
I can't figure out why I got this, maybe a freebie from Tor? Initially the story was so goofy and funny I was having trouble believing it was a full length novel but now that I'm about halfway through it I can see that there's more to it than the humor. But so far the humor is the best part for me.

#2  drofgnal 03-23-2020, 06:02 AM
I got it as a freebie from Tor. His stuff is usually pretty good.

#3  pwalker8 03-23-2020, 09:58 AM
I got it as an audiobook, though I did just download the freebie. Most of the Scalzi that I have are in audiobook format, mostly because Wil Wheaton is a really good narrator.

Yea, I liked the twist he threw in there. I thought it was a clever book.

#4  DiapDealer 03-24-2020, 07:52 AM
I liked the novel. The three separate, but related, "codas" tacked onto the end it?... not even a tiny bit. Felt a lot like getting mugged after an enjoyable dinner date. And while the date might have been fun, the mugging tends to be what first comes to mind when remembering the evening.

A botched experiment in my opinion. Of course I've also been largely unimpressed by all of Scalzi's efforts since The Last Colony. The first three books in the Old Man's War universe were quite enjoyable. Everything after that has ultimately been a disappointment for me. At this point, he seems to me to be more focused on being a snarky, relevant blogger than he is on writing quality fiction. *shrug*

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register