Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for January 2020 • I'd Rather be Reading: Books about Books
#11  Victoria 12-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Quote issybird
Do you want to withdraw the nomination, Victoria?
Yes please, and thanks

#12  issybird 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Quote Victoria
Yes please, and thanks
I hope you're planning on reading it anyway! It's really a must read if you've read 84, Charing Cross Road. I also liked her other memoir, Underfoot in Show Business, but I don't know if there's a digital edition.

Quote CRussel
I've already scored this at one of my libraries, so I will be reading it. And if the lack of availability in Australia is a major drawback, I'm sure something can be worked out. (It _is_ available as a dual book with 84 Charing Cross Road as a hardcover, so worth a look at your local libraries.)
You really have to read 84, Charing Cross Road first if you haven't, Charlie. Duchess won't have nearly the same resonance without that context.

#13  Victoria 12-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Thanks Issybird, I just bought it 84 CC Road is one of my all time favourites. And the movie is a delight! I just checked and Amazon does have a digital ‘Underfoot in Show Business’. Good to know you enjoyed it as well.

#14  Bookpossum 12-01-2019, 05:19 PM
I must try to get hold of it, as I too loved 84, Charing Cross Road. I loved the film too.

I would like to nominate The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald. From Goodreads:

In 1959 Florence Green, a kindhearted widow with a small inheritance, risks everything to open a bookshop - the only bookshop - in the seaside town of Hardborough. By making a success of a business so impractical, she invites the hostility of the town's less prosperous shopkeepers. By daring to enlarge her neighbors' lives, she crosses Mrs. Gamart, the local arts doyenne. Florence's warehouse leaks, her cellar seeps, and the shop is apparently haunted. Only too late does she begin to suspect the truth: a town that lacks a bookshop isn't always a town that wants one.
Prices from Kobo: $A9.99, $US2.99, $C11.99,£5.99. 163 pages.

This made the shortlist for the Booker Prize back in 1978 or so. Fitzgerald is not an author I know, but having read up about her, I need to rectify that!

#15  Bookpossum 12-01-2019, 05:23 PM
I have just checked and the Hanff is available from one of my libraries. gmw may have difficulties in getting it though.

#16  issybird 12-01-2019, 05:37 PM
I'm having a hard time narrowing down my potential nominations. Perhaps clarity will come in the morning.

#17  Victoria 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Quote Bookpossum
I have just checked and the Hanff is available from one of my libraries. gmw may have difficulties in getting it though.
Great, thanks for checking Bookpossum If gmw can get it, I’ll renominate it.

#18  Victoria 12-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Quote issybird
I'm having a hard time narrowing down my potential nominations. Perhaps clarity will come in the morning.
That always works for me!

#19  CRussel 12-01-2019, 07:07 PM
I had already checked out 84, Charing Cross Road, issybird. But thanks for the confirmation.

Charlie.

#20  gmw 12-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Quote Victoria
Great, thanks for checking Bookpossum If gmw can get it, I’ll renominate it.
Sorry, Victoria. I am interested - love 84 Charing Cross Road - but my library options are limited and no sign of anything by Hanff except an audiobook of 84 Charing Cross Road.

I'm still working out what I want to nominate.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register