Mobileread
How to embed fonts in ePub after Calibre
#71  Turtle91 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Does Font Squirrel scan a document and only provide the characters 'used', or do you need to manually delete the un-used?

#72  Doitsu 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Font Squirrel doesn't allow you to exclude unused characters. You can only select glyphs by Unicode ranges, languages or character types (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, punctuation etc.)
IMHO, excluding unused glyphs offers only minimal size advantages. Also if you find a font that you like, you'd have to run the subsetter each time you create a new book to make sure that all characters are included in the subset font.

#73  Turtle91 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Quote Doitsu
Also if you find a font that you like, you'd have to run the subsetter each time you create a new book to make sure that all characters are included in the subset font.
I don't intend to use embedded fonts/subsetting on a regular basis...that's what user selection is for on the device; I'll let them choose which font THEY like best. The only time I would need an embedded font is if the specific font itself adds to the story of that specific book...HP for example. If a customer wants to pay for a different font in their header, who am I to tell them "no"... Being a professional [cough,cough] I would want to provide the best (smallest/cleanest) product I can - I would just like a tool that makes that easier!

Thanks for the suggestion though!

#74  Toxaris 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Keep in mind that Font Squirell will not subset all fonts. Quite a number of fonts are blacklisted.

Also, John, I take some offense to your words. My program was not intended to work as you would like, it works as I wanted. The fact that I am working on a new version that can open ePUB is because I can see some need for it for myself and some others. Quite frankly I don't care if it works better for you. You never ask for something, you demand.

#75  trampino 11-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Hello, could anybody help me?

I make conversion of DOCX to EPUB, using Calibre command line. I use all recomandations, writen in this thread, for using plugin embedfont_plugin.zip

If I use original plugin version form P.T. in win7 with Calibre 2.7, it works perfect. If I use the same on Linux server with Calibre 2.7. files with fonts are not placed into epub file and error messages written below are displayed in terminal.

If I used modified version of plugin form artshim it does not work in win7 with Calibre 2.7 and it does not work in Linux with Calibre 2.7 too. In both operation systems terminal displays the same erro as for plugin from P.T.

The error messages are these:
Error: Can't find liberation fonts.
Running file type plugin EPUB Font embedding plugin failed with traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 154, in _run_filetype_plugins
File "calibre_plugins.dummy1.__init__", line 88, in run
SystemExit: 0
EPUB output written to /u1/myusername/opt/calibre/KnihaVystup.epub
Output saved to /u1/myusername/opt/calibre/KnihaVystup.epub

#76  Dasha 12-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Hi been a while I have just found a New Font I would like to have available In Calibre I have been Using 'Georgia' and 'Garamond' and I found a Font called "Bookerly" I have it now in Word 2016? But I don't know the way to get it into Calibre Can someone Explain Please Cheers Dasha

#77  Doitsu 12-01-2016, 03:40 AM
Quote Dasha
Hi been a while I have just found a New Font I would like to have available In Calibre I have been Using 'Georgia' and 'Garamond' and I found a Font called "Bookerly" I have it now in Word 2016? But I don't know the way to get it into Calibre Can someone Explain Please Cheers Dasha
Select Preferences > Common Options > Look and Feel > Fonts > Embed font family, select Bookerly, check all 4 options below Embed font family and do an epub to epub conversion.

Note that you can't distribute books with Bookerly font files in them, because they're copyright-protected.

#78  JSWolf 12-01-2016, 06:47 AM
There is a bug in the Bookerly metadata for the BoldItalic font and it might not work properly.

#79  Dasha 12-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Thank You Doitsu and JSWolf It went well I did Not realise the when I insatalled 'Bookerly' in my Win 10 'FONTS' that it would show up in Calibre. I also Learnt a good Lesson" Thanks very much to you Both until Next Time Cheers Dasha

#80  Toxaris 12-05-2016, 02:18 AM
You could take a look at Bitter. It is a font inspired by Bookerly and looks very similar. It is published under the Open Font License.

« First  « Prev   (8/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register