Mobileread
New ePub addon for Firefox
#11  kenmark 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Quote Olympus
I just installed the plug-in and started to download todays ePub version of NRC-Handelsblad newspaper
IMHO this is even better than Adobe's Digital Editions
I never thought of giving a newspaper a try. Do you need a subscription?

#12  mikelv 10-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Quote kenmark
This add-on is working for me now. I opened an existing ePub file on my PC: the left panel shows the TOC; the right panel shows the text/images with proper justification and all.

Some questions.

1. I can already view ePub files via ADE or the eBook Library. Therefore, other than being able to view an ePub from my Firefox browser, can you explain why I would need to use this add-on?

2. The chapters seem to be all one page and are read by using the scroll bar or wheel to advance through the entire chapter. Was this your intention?

3. To continue to the next chapter, I must click the TOC in the left panel to continue reading. Is this how the reader is supposed to work?

Nicely done, I just have to figure out a need for it.

Ken
Great that's it's working now for you! Which one of the workarounds did you use?

Here are the answers to your questions:

ad 1.)
Of course there is free software out there to read ePub-files on your PC. The difference is that you have to install and start a new software, in case of my addon you can just use a program you probably use anyway.

The main reason why I thought it would be a good idea to create the ePub-reader as an Firefox addon is, that an ePub-file is basically an archive of HTML-files. So why not use a program which is specialized in displaying HTML-files and many people have already installed? The great benefit is, that in that way you don't have to bother with rendering and display of the HTML-files because Firefox does this for you. So the limit of what is possible to display is set by Firefox and not by a special ePub-software. And I think Firefox is always at the cutting edge .

ad 2 + 3.)
Yes, that's the way the reader is supposed to work. This is of course the main difference between my addon and other reader-software. My addon just displays the ePub-file as it is: there are several HTML-pages with the content and a TOC which links the HTML-pages, that's it. Other reader-software simulates pages which don't exist in reality to give you the feeling you read a real book. To reach this goal they have to do calculations which decreases performance.

My decision was to keep it as simple as possible which also means as fast as possible. This resulted in the navigation you described. For me this is no problem, let's see what other users think .

#13  mikelv 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Quote AnemicOak
It wasn't on a server. I was doing File-->Open.
Is the file protected by DRM? If so, you can't use my addon to read it. In this case you need a reader which supports DRM, e.g. Adobe Digital Editions.

What's the extension of the filename? "epub"? If not, please rename it to "*.epub" and try it again.

#14  AnemicOak 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Quote mikelv
Is the file protected by DRM? If so, you can't use my addon to read it. In this case you need a reader which supports DRM, e.g. Adobe Digital Editions.

What's the extension of the filename? "epub"? If not, please rename it to "*.epub" and try it again.
It's just an ePub from here at Mobile Read, no DRM involved. I'm going to try the plug-in on my work computer, FF 3.5.3, and see how that works.

Thanks

#15  kenmark 10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Quote mikelv
Great that's it's working now for you! Which one of the workarounds did you use?
Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure which solution worked. Not knowing the language, I think I just had to tick off a box (let me try this experimental addon) near 'Download Now' that changed the 'Download Now' from grey to green. Then I saved to desktop and installed manually.

Another question. I've downloaded some ePubs to test with your plug-in. How do I delete them from your index?

#16  AnemicOak 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Works great on my work computer. Maybe it's the older version of FF I have at home that's causing problems.

Very nice plug-in. I don't generally read on a computer and if I do I generally prefer a reader that shows a single page and 'flips' to another page (in other words no scrolling), but I can see myself making use of it from time to time.

#17  mikelv 10-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Quote kenmark
Another question. I've downloaded some ePubs to test with your plug-in. How do I delete them from your index?
Good question . In the moment it's not possible to delete ePubs from the list but I'm working on a new version where it's possible. I think it will be available mid of next week. Unfortunately it is not as easy as it looks like.

#18  mikelv 10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Quote kenmark
Faster than expected I finished the new version where you can delete ePub-files. Just download it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45281.

#19  kenmark 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Quote mikelv
Faster than expected I finished the new version where you can delete ePub-files. Just download it here: Sorry, I had to remove the link temporarily because I uploaded the file, but Mozilla doesn't show it on all their servers .

I'll update this post, when the file is visible everywhere.
Thanks for updating the plugin. I'll check this thread for when it's available.

Should I delete the old version first or will the newer version just update the old version. Thanks.

#20  kenmark 10-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Quote mikelv
I'll update this post, when the file is visible everywhere.
Updated version EPUBReader 1.0.3 available now (and Mozilla plugin page is now in English). I just downloaded and installed over previous version.

New delete option works great.

(I did check the C:/Users/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/nph2aaid.default/epub folder, just to make sure. )

*edit* Plus it works fine in Firefox 3.5.4

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register