Mobileread
Please Use More Modern Kindle Formats
#11  HarryT 11-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Quote pdurrant
I do wish that Amazon would accept AZW3 (and ePub!) sent to the cloud. It's not a technical problem...
They do actually accept ePub, although it's not documented. You need to rename the ePub file to some other extension that they allow, such as ".png". It'll then be auto-converted.

#12  graycyn 04-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Quote GrannyGrump
@BookCat---
A problem is that older books in the library, and "old mobi" books often don't have any pretty formatting. Very often they don't have even "curly" quotes or italics. "Old MOBI" has no embedded fonts, no drop-caps, etc.

But, if the book has an epub version with that good formatting, it really is very easy to convert to AZW3 using Calibre. (Of course, as HarryT notes, you lose the syncing feature.)

If there are any particular titles you have in mind that have a "pretty" epub, pm me, and we can discuss the conversion process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13  graycyn 04-03-2019, 04:27 PM
Quote graycyn

Sorry about that, somehow accidentally sent empty post while just reading thread.

#14  ilovejedd 04-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Quote HarryT
You can't upload an AZW3 file to the Cloud. If you want to upload it, create a "dual Mobi"; this contains both Mobi7 and KF8 versions of the book, and can be uploaded. You can of course transfer AZW3 files to the Kindle via USB; that's how all my books are transferred to my Kindle.
If you upload dual Mobi to cloud, does it actually send AZW3/KF8 to the Kindle? Because I seem to recall testing a dual Mobi file (created with kindlegen, uploaded using Send to Kindle for PC) and the version downloaded to my PW3 from Amazon Cloud was just plain Mobi.

#15  HarryT 04-04-2019, 03:27 AM
Quote ilovejedd
If you upload dual Mobi to cloud, does it actually send AZW3/KF8 to the Kindle? Because I seem to recall testing a dual Mobi file (created with kindlegen, uploaded using Send to Kindle for PC) and the version downloaded to my PW3 from Amazon Cloud was just plain Mobi.
Both formats are stored in the Cloud, and then the appropriate single format downloaded to a device requesting the book, depending on its capabilities. If a device which supports KF8 requests the book, it should be sent the KF8 version.

#16  shalym 04-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Quote ilovejedd
If the dual mobi is created with Calibre, then it works...sometimes. I haven't been able to figure out why it works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. If you create it using Kindlegen, though, it *always* sends kf8 to Kindles that can use that format.

I would absolutely love it if someone could create a plugin that uses Kindlegen, but nobody seems interested, and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Shari

#17  HarryT 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM
Quote shalym
I would absolutely love it if someone could create a plugin that uses Kindlegen, but nobody seems interested, and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Shari
You'd begin by:

a) Learning Python. There are lots of free tutorials.
b) Reading Calibre's developer documentation.
c) Looking at other Calibre plugins to see how they work.

#18  BookCat 05-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Quote j.p.s
Are you a Calibre user? If so, you can convert the mobi to azw3 yourself with Calibre then help others by attaching the azw3 to a message in the thread where the mobi is posted. Over time the entire mobi library could be converted with no one person having to do that much work and the mobi would continue to be available to those that can not use azw3.

Somewhat better would be to start with the epub version and convert that to azw3.
I have a few AZW3 versions of mobileread library books, originally in epub, which I've converted using Calibre. Does anyone want me to somehow contribute them to the library? I haven't done anything wonderful, like correcting typos, all that work was done by the creator of the epub.

Just thought I'd save others the hassle of conversion. As the quote says, if we all convert a few . .
I use AZW3 because I sideload everything, so cloud storage isn't an issue.

#19  Jellby 05-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Well, from the posting guidelines: "There's really no point in posting here something which which a poster can get from the original source in two minutes." So if it's just a run-of-the-mill calibre conversion, don't.

#20  j.p.s 05-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Quote Jellby
Well, from the posting guidelines: "There's really no point in posting here something which which a poster can get from the original source in two minutes." So if it's just a run-of-the-mill calibre conversion, don't.
Although a new thread for a run of the mill conversion would clutter the Mobileread Library, what is the harm of attaching an additional format variant to a new post in the original thread?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register