Mobileread
KOreader on Android
#11  PremaEbooks 06-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Quote Ken Maltby
First, I wish I could take credit for the results of the Koreader Project at Github, They are the ones that work the magic. You can see what they did and follow their progress at the site I linked to in the first post.

The navigation and functioning of Koreader in my Android v4.0.3 ASUS TF-101 is very snappy. I don't know if "more RAM" is needed on your device, this app doesn't come with any.

Perhaps you have a friend with your same device, and some limited skill, who could follow the description for porting the project to a particular device. Or at least establish why that device is having problems with it and my, relatively old tablet has no problems.

Note, you are the second poster who is having problems with it on that device, there may be something different with how the Onyx M96 works.

Luck;
Ken
Oops
Ok, my fault. I though that beeing you who started the post it was your app

Anyway, thanks for all your help.
Based on what I've tested on M96 the problem seems to be the version for which the app is developed.
I'm going to try to get in contact with the developers to see if they are interested in finding a solution to run this app on Onyx devices.

Again: thank you very much

#12  Ken Maltby 06-29-2014, 11:10 AM
The very international team at the Github project are always interested in furthering its development, and seem to appreciate all the help they can get. There are many Android devices and not all devices follow the same path to Android compliance, the expansion of the project into the Android world will take the participation of users of a number of different Android devices, to find what works on the largest number. So, testers needed. There are amazing things being done in the open source software development world by people who volunteer their time and talents to create software that rivals and often exceeds commercial products.

Luck;
Ken

#13  Markismus 06-29-2014, 01:52 PM
I created an issue for non-compatible devices on github.

What could you try to fix it?
You could enable disable hardware features and see whether those are associated with koreader freezing. Please report positive findings at at the issue made.

For example, I am using koreader on an old HTC Desire HD. It kept freezing on me until I disabled the auto-rotation setting in my phone. (See here.)

It still freezes when the phone automatically disables the screen. So I have set it to 10 minutes and now disable the screen manually. Since the android version is 2.35, I'll first upgrade to a newer android before spending much time on debugging.

#14  WS64 06-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Which Android version is at minimum needed for Koreader?
The Onyx Midia InkPhone sounds very interesting (although pretty expensive), but it just comes with Android 2.3.
But as far as I know there are no other <6 inch eink readers with frontlight, and I don't see any other company planning to come up with one, so I am thinking of getting this Onyx (when it is available). I am not in the slightest interested in the phone itself, just the eink reader, so it has to be good at that, and Koreader would be my choice here!

#15  Markismus 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM
@WS64 Version 2.3 according to hwhw.

#16  Ken Maltby 06-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Quote Markismus
@WS64 Version 2.3 according to hwhw.
And it is working fine on Version 4.0.3, in the case of my tablet.

But sense there are other devices that are also running under Android 4.0.3, that are having problems, it is not just a matter of the Android Version.

Luck;
Ken

#17  embryo 08-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Quote Ken Maltby
But sense there are other devices that are also running under Android 4.0.3, that are having problems, it is not just a matter of the Android Version.
I tried versions 401 and 433 with 2 phones having Android 2.3.7 and 4.4.4
Nothing worked.
Is there any other info on requirements?

#18  Ken Maltby 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Quote embryo
I tried versions 401 and 433 with 2 phones having Android 2.3.7 and 4.4.4
Nothing worked.
Is there any other info on requirements?
Version 433 may be problematic, especially for the Kindle version, but it would not be the best one to try it out on. I am still on 398, I'll have to give 414 a try. OK, it looks good on my early TF-101 EEE Transformer running Android v.4.0.3. It has some new features as well.

Hope you can find a Koreader version that works for you. One thing that I make sure I do is to uninstall any older version before installing the new one.

Luck;
Ken

#19  embryo 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Quote Ken Maltby
Version 433 may be problematic, especially for the Kindle version, but it would not be the best one to try it out on. I am still on 398, I'll have to give 414 a try.
Tried 398 on both phones with no luck.
There must be something that both my phones lack...

#20  booklover6 08-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Darn. I wanted to try it on a 2.1 Nook ST.

Tried it on my Nexus 7. Installed just fine. Moon+ is better, though. Koreader squishes some words together through the books.

eta - found out why. It's because I hyphenate all my epubs with a plug in. Can't do that with koreader books.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/24)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register