Mobileread
Summary of Modified Fonts
#401  hfpop 06-22-2018, 06:24 AM
I want to process all fonts I am using through FontForge and clean a few things. Other than the Panose Book/Bold setting, I want to consistently set old kerning on, hinting off and have output to TTF. Please confirm the options in Generate Fonts / Options window:

SFNT:
TrueType Hints = off
Apple = off
Open Type = on
Old style 'kern' = on
Windows compatible 'kern' = on

Is it safe to set PS Glyph Names = off?
With Old style 'kern' = on, the file may get very large.
Should Panose be set to Book/Bold or removed completely (as per other scripts from this forum)?

Thank you.

#402  JSWolf 06-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Quote hfpop
I want to process all fonts I am using through FontForge and clean a few things. Other than the Panose Book/Bold setting, I want to consistently set old kerning on, hinting off and have output to TTF. Please confirm the options in Generate Fonts / Options window:

SFNT:
TrueType Hints = off
Apple = off
Open Type = on
Old style 'kern' = on
Windows compatible 'kern' = on

Is it safe to set PS Glyph Names = off?
With Old style 'kern' = on, the file may get very large.
Should Panose be set to Book/Bold or removed completely (as per other scripts from this forum)?

Thank you.
If any of the fonts you are using doesn't have kerning, then you'll have to create the kerning table(s) needed for kerning. It's not easy to do.

#403  Owl_ 06-30-2018, 06:07 PM
This is one of the sanf-serif fonts derived from the signage alphabet drawn for the United States Federal Highway Administration. It's freely distributed and available in 8 thicknesses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpass_(typeface)

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Overpass

Enjoy the reading
[zip] Overpass.zip (885.8 KB, 176 views)

#404  Vintage Season 08-21-2018, 05:51 PM
EB Garamond is the best free Garamond I've found, but I had a few frustrations with the official implementation—a small relative glyph size when rendered on e-ink, and none of my favorite ligatures had been assigned as defaults—so I adjusted the em-square to resize without rescaling, assigned my own ligature preferences, and renamed the output as "EB Garamond Absinthe" for SIL OFL compliance.

Currently using this on an original Kobo Aura. Feel free to do likewise on your own Kobos, Kindles, or whatnot if it appeals to you… and if you make any further adjustments, please remember to modify the name and credits accordingly.

(Meant to post this ~8 months ago, but I'd forgotten my MobileRead password. Oops.)
[zip] EB Garamond Absinthe Version 1.000.zip (2.18 MB, 367 views)

#405  knkmhmd 09-07-2018, 04:07 AM
Quote Vintage Season
EB Garamond is the best free Garamond I've found, but I had a few frustrations with the official implementation—a small relative glyph size when rendered on e-ink, and none of my favorite ligatures had been assigned as defaults—so I adjusted the em-square to resize without rescaling, assigned my own ligature preferences, and renamed the output as "EB Garamond Absinthe" for SIL OFL compliance.

Currently using this on an original Kobo Aura. Feel free to do likewise on your own Kobos, Kindles, or whatnot if it appeals to you… and if you make any further adjustments, please remember to modify the name and credits accordingly.

(Meant to post this ~8 months ago, but I'd forgotten my MobileRead password. Oops.)
How can I thank you enough!!! I have been searching for a good garamond font for so long. There always have been some issues with each. This modification of yours is what I have been searching for.
I have tried Microsoft provided ones and the google ones. The most prevalent problem are character/word spacing, uneven shape scaling while increasing font size, less legitibility/grayish when using smaller size, contrast issue and others. I have used the EB garamond from google but immediately discarded. Yours one is so efficiently rendered I am amazed and grateful.
I will be curious to see your future works and will be looking inside the forums to find other fonts whihc have been modified as you did. Garamond or alikes have always been my choice as because they are the most suitable for my eyes and gives me a very close kind of visual pleasure of reading a printed book.
(Have used it in my Kindle Paperwhite 3 and will load into Kobo aura H2O soon).

#406  gafortiby 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I just want to add that I find Google's free Spectral font to be amazing. Like Bookerly, it was designed to for screen reading. Unfortunately it renders a bit too thin on Kobo screens. Which is odd because it renders nicely on Nook screens.

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Spectral

#407  JSWolf 09-12-2018, 06:10 AM
Quote gafortiby
I just want to add that I find Google's free Spectral font to be amazing. Like Bookerly, it was designed to for screen reading. Unfortunately it renders a bit too thin on Kobo screens. Which is odd because it renders nicely on Nook screens.

Use the Medium and Medium-Italic for Regular and Italic and the bold variations for bold. That should solve the problem of being too thin. of if that's not working, use the Semi-Bold and Extra-Bold versions.

#408  anacreon 09-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Quote gafortiby

Thank you for the link. I loaded it on my Clara and it looks fine just increasing the thickness (but you need to patch for this).

#409  gafortiby 09-14-2018, 01:42 AM
Quote anacreon
Thank you for the link. I loaded it on my Clara and it looks fine just increasing the thickness (but you need to patch for this).
Yes! i used the patch to increase weight and it looks great.

#410  patrik 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Hmm, this is a pretty strange font that supposidly helps the brain retain the information read. If true, it may be helpful while reading non-fiction.

Maybe some of you font experts know how to make it e-ink/kobo friendly?

http://sansforgetica.rmit/

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (41/42)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register