Mobileread
Kindle Fire Tips & Tricks & How-To's
#11  jswinden 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
How to Sideload Apps:
I recommend that you install the free ES File Explorer available through the Amazon App Store. You will need an app like it to install sideloaded *.apk files which are apps BTW.
  1. Tap Quick Settings, More, Device, then click On to enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.
  2. Google your app and search for the APK file. Try looking on the developer's website.
  3. Download the APK file to your computer.
  4. Copy the APK file to the root (or a folder of your choice) on the Fire via a USB connection to your computer. After copied, disconnect the Fire from the computer by clicking Disconnect on the bottom of the Fire's screen and then unplug the USB cable.
  5. Start ES File Explorer and select the APK file then select install when prompted.
  6. All done.

#12  Scarpad 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I manually loaded a Hi def File encoded for Appletv, an Episode of It's Sunny in Philadelphia, put it in the video folder and browsed to it with ES File Explorer, and played it with the ES Video player, it played Fantastic. And Looked Great the screen is nice on this player.

#13  nimblem 11-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Has anyone found a calendar that works well for scheduling several months in advance?

#14  jswinden 11-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Easily Import Google Contacts during Gmail Setup:
If you have already set up a Google account with contacts, then you can easily import those contacts when setting up the Fire's email app for your Gmail account.
  1. Set up your Gmail account in the Fire Email app by entering the Gmail address and password.
  2. The app will test the email address to ensure it is a valid account, then it prompts you as to whether you want to import your Google contacts. The prompt is in the form of a checkbox option.
  3. Select the checkbox and click Finish and the Gmail account is set up and your Google Contacts now are in the Fire's Contacts app. It was insanely simple and easy and fast.

#15  Blossom 11-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Quote nimblem
Has anyone found a calendar that works well for scheduling several months in advance?
I got the business calendar from Amazon when it was free. It's like a google or outlook clone.

#16  SCION 11-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Quote Blossom
I got the business calendar from Amazon when it was free. It's like a google or outlook clone.
Hmmm, it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Fire. As shown in the "Compatibility with your devices" section.

#17  Blossom 11-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote SCION
Hmmm, it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Fire. As shown in the "Compatibility with your devices" section.
Awww Well there's also mobile Google calendar via a browser.

#18  janiebegood 11-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Did your Fires come with a USB cable? Mine only included an A/C charger. Also: how can I delete items from the "carousel"?

ETA: Never mind about the USB cable. I see they are "sold separately" and assume I can use one of my other Kindles USB cables. Will report if that turns out to be a problem!

Would still like to know how to delete items from the carousel, though...

#19  sirmaru 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote janiebegood
Did your Fires come with a USB cable? Mine only included an A/C charger. Also: how can I delete items from the "carousel"?

ETA: Never mind about the USB cable. I see they are "sold separately" and assume I can use one of my other Kindles USB cables. Will report if that turns out to be a problem!

Would still like to know how to delete items from the carousel, though...
Hold a finger on the item until a menu appears. Then tap "delete."

#20  janiebegood 11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote sirmaru
Hold a finger on the item until a menu appears. Then tap "delete."
Sirmaru, when I do that, the only option available is "add to favorites". No menu!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/47)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register