Mobileread
k2pdfopt: optimizes PDFs for viewing on e-readers
#1711  Umesh 08-30-2019, 04:44 PM
Hello Mr. Willus Sir. Thank you for the software. If worked great for me for quite sometime, but now if I select the option of 'postprocess with ghostscript', the application crashes. This option worked fine on the day that I had earlier installed Ghostscript PostScript and PDF Interpreter. Could you list a possible solution and also could you please give a link to the precise exe file of Ghostscript that needs to be installed.
Regards,
Umesh

#1712  willus 09-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Quote Umesh
Hello Mr. Willus Sir. Thank you for the software. If worked great for me for quite sometime, but now if I select the option of 'postprocess with ghostscript', the application crashes. This option worked fine on the day that I had earlier installed Ghostscript PostScript and PDF Interpreter. Could you list a possible solution and also could you please give a link to the precise exe file of Ghostscript that needs to be installed.
Regards,
Umesh
Can you maybe post a screen shot of the crash--what it looks like? Yes, I can see where it might crash if it cannot correctly find the Ghostscript DLL--I'll put that on my bug list. It should put up a dialog box saying it can't run Ghostscript.

It looks for the Ghostscript DLL by:
1. Looking in the Windows registry for the GS_DLL key.
2. Looking for gsdll64.dll, gswin64c.exe, gsdll32.dll, or gswin32c.exe in a number common locations, e.g. "c:\Program Files\gs", etc.
3. Looking those files in the folder pointed to by the environment variable WILLUSGS_PATH

What location did you install Ghostscript in?

#1713  zslengyel 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Hello,
I don't know if it's related to the previous post, but I just realized, that GS post-processing crashes every time I pass k2 a file that contains non-Western characters in its name. See screenshot. It works fine, if I change the name.
https://zslengyel.web.elte.hu/szemet/scr0003.jpg

(Sorry, if it was already reported.)

#1714  willus 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Quote zslengyel
Hello,
I don't know if it's related to the previous post, but I just realized, that GS post-processing crashes every time I pass k2 a file that contains non-Western characters in its name. See screenshot. It works fine, if I change the name.
https://zslengyel.web.elte.hu/szemet/scr0003.jpg

(Sorry, if it was already reported.)
Thank you for letting me know and for the detail. I've added this to my bug list.

#1715  hugleo 10-20-2019, 08:53 AM
I got a problem converting a pdf file.

You can look the by the images converted using k2pdfopt and the original that is missing the break lines for text:

"Problema 26.", "Problema 27.", "Problema 34.", "Problema 35." and "b) Mostre que se n é ı́mpar vale:
".

k2pdfopt:

image »

Original:

image »
bp.png original.png 

#1716  willus 10-22-2019, 09:07 PM
Quote hugleo
I got a problem converting a pdf file.

You can look the by the images converted using k2pdfopt and the original that is missing the break lines for text: ...
This is a known deficiency in k2pdfopt that others have pointed out to me. If I get a chance, I'll try to add an option where line spacing variation can control when to terminate text re-flow. For now I'm afraid I don't have a good answer other than to maybe try the -mode fw option.

#1717  hugleo 10-25-2019, 06:39 AM
Quote willus
This is a known deficiency in k2pdfopt that others have pointed out to me. If I get a chance, I'll try to add an option where line spacing variation can control when to terminate text re-flow. For now I'm afraid I don't have a good answer other than to maybe try the -mode fw option.
Hmm, looks like the -mode fw doesn't support reflow the text. That implies if I have a sufficient large device in landscape mode to read the text.

image »
reflow.png 

#1718  willus 10-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Quote hugleo
Hmm, looks like the -mode fw doesn't support reflow the text. That implies if I have a sufficient large device in landscape mode to read the text.
Correct.

#1719  napoletano 12-13-2019, 11:32 PM
Thank you, Willus! Your program is absolutely brilliant, and has saved my eyes as well as vast tracks of forests destined to be turned into paper to print the countless PDF files I would have otherwise been unable to read on my kindle.

I noticed that the wiki is still pretty empty, and that searching this forum can sometimes be a bit clunky, especially when you're not entirely sure how to explain the problem you're having. For instance, scanned books with crooked pages were becoming the bane of my existence, and I'm still not sure whether the collection of search terms I eventually came up with led me to the best solution.

In any case, thanks a ton for giving us such a helpful program!

#1720  willus 12-17-2019, 11:16 PM
Quote napoletano
Thank you, Willus! Your program is absolutely brilliant, and has saved my eyes as well as vast tracks of forests destined to be turned into paper to print the countless PDF files I would have otherwise been unable to read on my kindle.

I noticed that the wiki is still pretty empty, and that searching this forum can sometimes be a bit clunky, especially when you're not entirely sure how to explain the problem you're having. For instance, scanned books with crooked pages were becoming the bane of my existence, and I'm still not sure whether the collection of search terms I eventually came up with led me to the best solution.

In any case, thanks a ton for giving us such a helpful program!
Thanks. If you'd like to post post an example of the scanned pages and the command-line options you're using, I'd be happy to have a look.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (172/180)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register