Mobileread
Name that book?
#1  Slite 12-16-2008, 06:28 AM
This thread is for asking for help about books that you canot remember the title and/or author for. As much information about the book in question is appreciated, such as it's theme, any significant characters you remember. Just about anything that will make another MR member be able to pinpoint what book it is you are looking for.

To start it off:
The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved guarding a large wall. And when someone joined the military/guardforce for that wall, it was refered to as "Take the Black". Anyone know which book that could possibly be?

#2  mbovenka 12-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Quote Slite
I tried to search, but I can't find any thread that is a "Name-that-book" as in, I've read a book way back, can't remember title and/or author, but I do remember somewhat about what it was about. And maybe some nice MR member out there has read the same book. So, here goes

The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved guarding a large wall. And when someone joined the military/guardforce for that wall, it was refered to as "Take the Black". Anyone know which book that could possibly be?
That's probably the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R R Martin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

#3  Ned 12-16-2008, 06:42 AM
How about A Game of Thrones by George Martin?
This review on "Goodreads" mentions "taking the black" and the wall:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/13082772

#4  Slite 12-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Quote mbovenka
That's probably the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R R Martin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire
Ah, of course, thank you, I have only read the three first in the series, and just saw that there were at least one new book in the series. Time for a re-read me thinks

#5  zelda_pinwheel 12-16-2008, 06:57 AM
i hope you find your book slite, it is really frustrating to forget the title of a book you want to find... i had a thread searching for a forgotten book as well (a long time ago), i did not find the book i was looking for however it did become a very interesting discussion and many other good books were recommended, so it was not in vain.

sorry, i can't help you with the book you describe.

(note to self : do try to remember to refresh the page before posting, if the tab has been open for some time already... )

#6  Slite 12-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
i hope you find your book slite, it is really frustrating to forget the title of a book you want to find... i had a thread searching for a forgotten book as well (a long time ago), i did not find the book i was looking for however it did become a very interesting discussion and many other good books were recommended, so it was not in vain.

sorry, i can't help you with the book you describe.

(note to self : do try to remember to refresh the page before posting, if the tab has been open for some time already... )
Hehe, maybe this should be made into a sticky so people can use it to post requests like this?

#7  zelda_pinwheel 12-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Quote Slite
Hehe, maybe this should be made into a sticky so people can use it to post requests like this?
sure, that's a good idea. stuck.

slite, could you edit your first post and add an explanation that now this is a thread for trying to discover forgotten books ? thanks !

#8  Slite 12-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
sure, that's a good idea. stuck.

slite, could you edit your first post and add an explanation that now this is a thread for trying to discover forgotten books ? thanks !
Will do

#9  ErwinOtten 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Second:
The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved a little girl called Arry, or Weasel, or Nymeria, or Nan, or Cat (of the Canals), or even sometimes Arya. Anyone know which book that could possibly be?

Sorry Slite but I just couldn't imagine your question was serious. To pick THE number one fantasy-series (see www.bestfantasybooks.com if you don't believe me), be so specific and not able to remember where to look?....

#10  Slite 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Quote ErwinOtten
Second:
The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved a little girl called Arry, or Weasel, or Nymeria, or Nan, or Cat (of the Canals), or even sometimes Arya. Anyone know which book that could possibly be?

Sorry Slite but I just couldn't imagine your question was serious. To pick THE number one fantasy-series (see www.bestfantasybooks.com if you don't believe me), be so specific and not able to remember where to look?....
Well, it is a number of years since I read the three first in the series, and I have read a ton of books since

Next »  Last »  (1/108)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register