Mobileread
Indies and Kindle Unlimited
#1  pwalker8 11-12-2019, 11:52 AM
One of the indies that I tend to read is Glynn Stewart. I just got an email from him (mass mailing I'm sure) announcing two things, first that he is going on Kindle Unlimited and second announcing a Patreon account for him for $5 a novel. Of course, you are automatically charged $5 each time he comes out with a new novel.

Interesting twist. Basically, if you don't want to sign up for Kindle Unlimited, you join the Patreon account and get his books for $5 a piece. I guess this is to get around the contract limitations of being a Kindle Unlimited author. Having no desire to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, that's the direction I went. I wonder how long before other authors try this loophole and if Amazon does anything about it.

#2  FrustratedReader 11-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Kindle Unlimited is bad. Fuels the Amazon monopoly.

#3  Sirtel 11-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Quote pwalker8
One of the indies that I tend to read is Glynn Stewart. I just got an email from him (mass mailing I'm sure) announcing two things, first that he is going on Kindle Unlimited and second announcing a Patreon account for him for $5 a novel. Of course, you are automatically charged $5 each time he comes out with a new novel.

Interesting twist. Basically, if you don't want to sign up for Kindle Unlimited, you join the Patreon account and get his books for $5 a piece. I guess this is to get around the contract limitations of being a Kindle Unlimited author. Having no desire to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, that's the direction I went. I wonder how long before other authors try this loophole and if Amazon does anything about it.
You don't have to join KU to buy an author's books. They can still be bought from Amazon at full price. That Patreon thing may be useful for those who don't buy from Amazon at all, though.

#4  pwalker8 11-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Quote Sirtel
You don't have to join KU to buy an author's books. They can still be bought from Amazon at full price. That Patreon thing may be useful for those who don't buy from Amazon at all, though.
Perhaps. He also says that people who sign up on Patreon can get it a few days early. There appears to be some sort of downside to Amazon unlimited given that quite a few authors dropped out of it. I'm no sure what the pros and cons are though. I simply thought that the Patreon angle was interesting and different. Stewart is Canadian, so that might make a difference.

#5  DrNefario 11-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Interesting. Maybe it is a sneaky way around the kindle exclusivity you have to sign up for to use KU.

#6  Deskisamess 11-12-2019, 08:20 PM
I read a lot of books from KU, most I wouldn't spend $1 on, let alone $5. Many of them are around 220 pages, and I can read one in 3-4 hours. I can easily read 8-14 books per month of these lite fiction reads, making KU a good buy for me. With the savings I just got it's an even better buy.

I agree it must be a way to do an end run around Amazon's terms for authors in the KU program. Wonder how long it will be until Amazon closes the hole.

#7  DiapDealer 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Quote FrustratedReader
Fuels the Amazon monopoly.
The imaginary one?

#8  DuckieTigger 11-13-2019, 01:43 AM
Quote DiapDealer
The imaginary one?
No, the real one. Amazon has a 100% monopoly on KU.

#9  DuckieTigger 11-13-2019, 02:14 AM
Quote pwalker8

Here is a link to his blog:

https://www.glynnstewart.com/glynn-stewart-patreon/

The email, I imagine, was just a copy of the blog emailed?
Nice to see that he will put all his books into KU.
This means that if you’re a Kindle Unlimited member, by the end of the year all of Glynn’s books will be included in your membership.
And that not all books are in KU yet might just indicate that he has to pull them out from other ebook stores.

Thank you for the reading recommendation. At first glance it looks interesting. Is there a specific reading order? Or simply pick a series at random and go to the next after?

#10  pwalker8 11-13-2019, 06:10 AM
Quote DuckieTigger
Here is a link to his blog:

https://www.glynnstewart.com/glynn-stewart-patreon/

The email, I imagine, was just a copy of the blog emailed?
Nice to see that he will put all his books into KU.

And that not all books are in KU yet might just indicate that he has to pull them out from other ebook stores.

Thank you for the reading recommendation. At first glance it looks interesting. Is there a specific reading order? Or simply pick a series at random and go to the next after?
Some of the series are interconnected, others are not. I actually started with the Red Falcon series, which is a side series to the Starship's Mage Series.
Interstellar Mage occurs immediately after Starship's Mage and has many of the same characters. Hand of Mars also occurs right after Starship's Mage and follows one of the lead characters from Starship Mage.

Red Falcon is my favorite of his, followed by Starship Mage. Both are a mix of technology and magic. Duchy of Terra and Castle Federation are both standard space epic type series. A couple of his series are more fantasy. others are more super hero.

Next »  Last »  (1/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register