Mobileread
I've Got Prime. Now What Do I Do With It?
#1  GtrsRGr8 11-09-2019, 12:21 AM
This is the Prime trial that is the subject of my thread below: "Get Prime Whether You Want It or Not."

I had a full year of Prime about 5 or 6 years ago, but I remember little about it except that I got a lot of packages in a very quick manner. Anyway, Prime has changed a lot, it seems, since then.

_As far as ebooks and possibly audiobooks are concerned_ now, what are the perks of having Prime, that _you_ have found especially worthwhile, that I should latch on to in the short time that I have left as a Prime member?

Let me go ahead and eliminate Kindle Unlimited--I want to own my books, not borrow them.

Just a phrase or short sentence for each point will probably suffice.

Thanks.

#2  booklover6 11-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Kindle First Reads for November

Check out the Kindle First topic in this forum. That's about the only Prime benefit you get for books. Nothing for Audible.

#3  Deskisamess 11-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Prime Reading is a borrowing perk, you can borrow up to 10 books at any one time, from a smaller subset of books than Kindle Unlimited. Some magazines are included, as well as books that have audible narrations.

It's about 1,000 books and magazines:

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz/bookshelf/prime

#4  GtrsRGr8 11-10-2019, 12:14 AM
Quote booklover6
Kindle First Reads for November

Check out the Kindle First topic in this forum. That's about the only Prime benefit you get for books. Nothing for Audible.
Checking it. I have rarely even seen it even mentioned, so thanks.

#5  DrD123 11-10-2019, 12:31 AM
there are many free books on Amazon - pretty much pick your category, then go to "best sellers" and there will be a listing for the top 100 paid and top 100 free books. (not a benefit of Prime, just a perk of Amazon - Prime really just has the kindle first thing and the lending library for books - the main benefits of prime are things like shipping, prime video/audio, etc.)

#6  GtrsRGr8 11-10-2019, 02:11 AM
Thanks to all of you who commented. I actually wrote a "thank you" to the first respondent, booklover6, but I must have failed to save it.

Yeah, I can see now that there's not much benefit to having Prime, as far as books and magazines go.

One thing that I kept seeing mentioned, that apparently pertains/pertained to Amazon books is something called "Prime Now". However, I couldn't find out anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this?

#7  Froide 11-10-2019, 02:32 AM
Quote GtrsRGr8
_As far as ebooks and possibly audiobooks are concerned_ now, what are the perks of having Prime, that _you_ have found especially worthwhile, that I should latch on to in the short time that I have left as a Prime member?
Have you availed yourself of Prime Video to watch screen adaptations of books? Of Prime Music to listen to music while reading? Or of the discounts Amazon regularly offers (often 25%, if one pays using at least one AMEX, Chase, Citi, or Discover point) on goods, services, and gift cards, which book-lovers might use to purchase books, reading/listening/watching-related wares, and creature comforts to enhance the reading experience?

ASIDE: Am I alone in thinking this is more a "General Discussions" than "Deals and Resources" thread?

#8  Kindleing 11-10-2019, 02:59 AM
Quote GtrsRGr8
One thing that I kept seeing mentioned, that apparently pertains/pertained to Amazon books is something called "Prime Now".
As far as I know, "Prime Now" is a geographically limited service for rapid delivery (one or two hours) of some products (including food) in selected metro areas. It and "Same-Day" delivery are not available to me. I feel lucky to get next day or two-day delivery on many items.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Now

I keep Prime for free shipping since I live in an area where local stores don't stock many of the things I buy. Books through "Prime Reading" or "Amazon First Reads" are a bonus, but not the reason I subscribe to Prime. Unfortunately I can't take advantage of video streaming because my Internet connection won't support streaming speeds and upgrade options are not currently available.

#9  Deskisamess 11-10-2019, 08:07 AM
About Prime Now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201687630

Amazon does have all the perks of Prime in one place:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201910250&qid=1573387606&sr=1-1

#10  sufue 11-10-2019, 09:29 AM
What discounts with point use ??? I thought I was pretty up on Prime, but haven't heard of this one...

Quote Froide
{edit}

Or of the discounts Amazon regularly offers (often 25%, if one pays using at least one AMEX, Chase, Citi, or Discover point) on goods, services, and gift cards, which book-lovers might use to purchase books, reading/listening/watching-related wares, and creature comforts to enhance the reading experience?

{edit}

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register