Mobileread
How to avoid dust getting into bezels of e-readers?
#1  Pumpernickel 11-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Has anyone had this issue with e-readers that have raised bezels? Dust will get into the sides of the screen near the bezels and it's really annoying. How can one combat this? A screen protector?

#2  tomsem 11-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Keep a can of compressed air around.

#3  MGlitch 11-07-2019, 06:34 PM
A screen protector won’t do anything for dust, there’s still a crevice for dust to gather.

#4  poohbear_nc 11-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Can of compressed air and a microfiber towel

Don't ask about the cat hair ....

#5  Deskisamess 11-07-2019, 09:07 PM
It's not really a huge problem, is it? Blow at the edges, or use compressed air. Although I've never needed to go to those extremes. Dust doesn't build up that severely.

I do like the flush screens of the newer Kindles, but was not that bothered by the raised bezels. I put skins on my Kindles, so get a tiny edge from those. But the cover is closed if I'm not reading, so don't notice much dust buildup.

#6  crich70 11-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Quote poohbear_nc
Can of compressed air and a microfiber towel

Don't ask about the cat hair ....
Does kitty like to read on Kindle?

#7  DiapDealer 11-07-2019, 10:04 PM
I'll only read in a cleanroom facility.

#8  haertig 11-08-2019, 12:04 AM
Our house is hardly dust free - I have to wear Kevlar clothing to fight off the dust bunnies when I clean out the inside of my computers - but even given that, I don't see any dust on my Kindle.

If you're seeing a lot of dust, maybe you have static problem. Take you one of those anti-static drier sheets and lightly wipe down your Kindle with it - front, back and everywhere. We use those drier sheets for everything. Unused, as wipers to make things anti-static. After having been used with a load of laundry, as cleaning rags. They are much sturdier than paper towels (but they are not absorbent). They work good for scrubbing stove tops, sinks, showers, and anything else with a healthy coating of gunk. They are very very mildly abrasive - I even used one to rub off light surface rust on a steel surface. Worked perfectly! We actually get the most use out of them after they have already been used in the laundry. But rub your Kindle lightly - you only want to transfer some of the waxy feeling anti-static coating, you don't want to scour your Kindle.

#9  theducks 11-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Quote tomsem
Keep a can of compressed air around.
Nothing wrong with keeping a can of Compressed Air AROUND.

Just don't use it on the outside of things you don't want dust and things INSIDE of, when they were not there to begin with.
Where did I learn that I had been servicing things poorly? A class on how to maintain my wife's (then) new 5 thread serger. (She took me along, because I kept things running. And yes, I can run a sewing machine just fine. OTOH she can MAKE stuff that does not have 'sew here dummy' marks )

A very soft artists brush (natural fibers. less static), to dislodge the big stuff, FRESHLY CLEAN Micro-fibre cloth next, then a screen wipe towelette (or a barely damp micro fiber. Never spray directly onto the target. Spray the cloth, then wipe).

#10  theducks 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Quote DiapDealer
I'll only read in a cleanroom facility.
They let you bring your reader inside?
They made me leave everything outside when I donned the bunny suit.
I had to bang on the window to get someone to turn the page.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register